Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am having trouble starting the machine. It will turn over with the kill switch in either position but won’t start. When it does start it revs super high once then dies. Also..... sometimes it will just make a clicking noise after trying to restart after it runs/dies. Using the kicker lever resets the clicking problem. I will also note that the battery is brand new and fully charged. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
It’s supposed to crank with the switch in RUN or KILL.
You must follow the ignition diagnostics in the service manual.
I can make some suggestions, like is fuel pump working? Is that what’s clicking? Perform fuel cut relay and fuel flow tests. Could be starving for fuel.
Will it sputter with a small shot of starting fluid?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply goober, the starter relay solenoid is clicking, my fuel system has been replaced with new parts and was operating well. The solenoid will act up only after the bike runs and dies, using the kick lever seams to reset the solenoid. What is odd to me is that the kill switch used to cut all power to the ignition until after I replaced the fuel cut relay, I rode the bike for a bit after to Test the fuel system and it functions properly. Now the kill switch lets me crank in either position, it has difficulty starting but is receiving a spark in either position. If it does start it gives 1 single high rev and dies

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Do you have the service manual?
I’d hate to jump the gun and suspect the CDI but that’s a common symptom. Clean all those connectors

Continuity check the start switch
to make sure The micro switch contacts are not broken (there is a little kill switch inside the start switch).
The 86-87 Fourtrax kill switch is wired differently than the Foreman, with ground connections in kill positions. The Foreman requires continuity on the run position.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
you might as well invest in some dielectric grease, for the connectors. while you are checking them you can grease them with this..

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Thanks for your reply goober, the starter relay solenoid is clicking, my fuel system has been replaced with new parts and was operating well. The solenoid will act up only after the bike runs and dies, using the kick lever seams to reset the solenoid. What is odd to me is that the kill switch used to cut all power to the ignition until after I replaced the fuel cut relay, I rode the bike for a bit after to Test the fuel system and it functions properly. Now the kill switch lets me crank in either position, it has difficulty starting but is receiving a spark in either position. If it does start it gives 1 single high rev and dies
Are you sure the solenoid is clicking ?because after you release the starter button, there shouldn’t be any reason for it to be energized. I’m thinking you’re hearing the fuel pump buzzing. This is typical during startup and immediately when the engine is winding down after kick starting.
Did you put an OEM pump in it?

It’s definitely not doing what I’d expect.

definitely clean the cdi connectors

One thing you can try is to dry out the CDI in an oven. Put the CDI in a cooled oven connector side up and turn on—no higher than 200F like you’re making jerky you want to drive off humidity and maybe thin film of organic debris that might create a short circuit. Might also allow the circuit board to relax in the potting bed. Let it dry for at least 3 hours. After you turn oven off let the CDI cool completely before moving it. Don’t install while it’s hot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, I try cleaning the connection. I am %100 sure it’s the solenoid. I am familiar with the sound and it’s different from the fuel pump sound. The solenoid makes a single click when pushing the start button and the pump is a vibrating droning sound . The motor cranks with kill switch in either position but only starts in the proper position. I am just curious why the solenoid acts up and is reset only by the kick start. The ignition and stall problem was a kink in the fuel line that I discovered. Now diagnosing the clicking and kill switch issues

1 - 7 of 7 Posts