Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As mentioned in my introduction thread, I recently picked up a 92 Fourtrax TRX300 FW in pretty rough shape. It only set me back $300, but it's going to need a lot of TLC before it's ready to ride again. My plan is to disassemble any parts that are worn/broken and rebuild it as close to new as I can manage with some common upgrades along the way. I've obtained a copy of the Honda service manual, and it seems very comprehensive.

Here it is as it sits this morning. I haven't really started tearing into it yet, but I've already uncovered some obvious issues.

The front left CV is completely busted where it connects to the knuckle. The end of the shaft just rattles around in there.

The rear right wheel bearing is completely shot. I jacked it up and wiggles like mad. All the others seem OK, but I'll replace them anyway. When inspecting the rest of the rear end, I noticed what looks to me like a PO had welded the hubs to the axle. The weld on the left looks intact but the one on the right is broken. I haven't tried taking them off yet, but I assume that's going to mean I'll be shopping for a new rear axle...
Left side:

Right side:

As far as the engine and fuel systems go, the PO mentioned he'd replaced the rings on the piston but that he still had trouble getting it to run properly. He's allegedly a diesel generator mechanic by trade, so I assume he knew what he was doing, but then again you never know. I haven't tried starting it yet myself.
I took the tank off before I even loaded it in my truck because it was missing both the rubber mounts and the lower mounting plate that sits above the carb. I've ordered replacements for both, but I'm still waiting on the plate.
With the tank off and the plate missing, I could see that the carb didn't appear to be stock. It's labeled a Mikuni and doesn't look like the ones in the service manual, but I don't have any good pictures of it at present.
I did a compression test, but I've since learned that I did it improperly. I'd done it with the engine cold, just using the starter motor and didn't have the throttle open. It only read 135 PSI. Now that I can mount the tank I'll try firing it up and see how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
plan on a new rear axle ?, as that one will need to be cut in order to get it out of the rear differential !. plan on a new front cv-joint/axle/half shaft ?, as that one is dead..lol. you may as well pull the rear differential and front differential apart, and see how bad the bearings and seals are ?, as well as the ring gears and pinion gears ?. just count on this ?, you may have paid 300 for it ?, BUT IT'S GOING TO COST YOU AN ARM AND LEG TO GET IT BACK TO 100% HEALTH !..LOL. this '05 trx500fm project I am working on ?, I paid 600 cash, 8 hrs driving time, and so far, I think i'm about 2k into it for oem parts ?!..lol.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
One piece at a time... At least you'll know what's been done to it when you're finished...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
One piece at a time... At least you'll know what's been done to it when you're finished...

hopefully it won't turn out to be a Johnny Cash trx300 ?, one piece at a time, ring a bell ?..lol.

Reactions: cmanningjr

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
^^^LOL. if you need parts let me know, ive got everything you need. including freshly rebuilt differential and rear axle.

if you decide you need a differential, I could do a swap plush cash for your core as well.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
BTW, you will need to cut that left hub off in order to remove it from the differential. it slides out from left to right.

I just use a good blade on a sawzall and they come off clean so you can tap it through the ring gear splines. if you use a torch you will need to clean up the ends so it can slide through.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I have no illusions about this being an inexpensive endeavor. With so much to do, it's a little overwhelming to figure out where to start, but like you said, one piece at a time.

Manny, I may take you up on that offer. I should have some to sort more out this weekend, as long as my fingers don't freeze off. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
What model Kubota is that in the background?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Thanks guys. I have no illusions about this being an inexpensive endeavor. With so much to do, it's a little overwhelming to figure out where to start, but like you said, one piece at a time.

Manny, I may take you up on that offer. I should have some to sort more out this weekend, as long as my fingers don't freeze off. I'll keep you updated.

Do you have a service manual?? You can search and download one here... plenty of great folks here to help..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Search YouTube. Honda 300 rear break job. Danny Ray has a really good series on a complete rear break/bearing job as well as rear diff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, between waiting for parts, being sick and the cold weather here I haven't gotten much done. I've got a bunch of parts that should be here before the weekend though:

New CV axle
OEM replacement rear axle and hubs
New front & rear wheel bearings
New ball joints
HighLifter Disc Brake conversion
Progressive 512's (front and back)

No running tally in case my wife ever comes across this thread. :p

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Well, between waiting for parts, being sick and the cold weather here I haven't gotten much done. I've got a bunch of parts that should be here before the weekend though:

New CV axle
OEM replacement rear axle and hubs
New front & rear wheel bearings
New ball joints
HighLifter Disc Brake conversion
Progressive 512's (front and back)

No running tally in case my wife ever comes across this thread. :p
lmao, skeer'd huh ?..lmaoooo. it adds up quick huh ?!...lol. i'd guess your close to 1k ?..lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'd guess your close to 1k ?..lol
Oh, I'm well past that already. The shocks and disc brakes from HL were 800 shipped alone.

Not to mention a few other things I picked up because they were missing. Used front bumper assembly, new air filter, new airbox lid and gasket, crossbar mount pate for the fuel tank, etc. Small stuff, but it adds up.

I still haven't ordered rebuild kits for the diffs yet... you guys normally get OEM parts from Honda? Can anyone speak to the quality of the "kits" on ebay?

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
i'd guess your close to 1k ?..lol
Oh, I'm well past that already. The shocks and disc brakes from HL were 800 shipped alone.

Not to mention a few other things I picked up because they were missing. Used front bumper assembly, new air filter, new airbox lid and gasket, crossbar mount pate for the fuel tank, etc. Small stuff, but it adds up.

I still haven't ordered rebuild kits for the diffs yet... you guys normally get OEM parts from Honda? Can anyone speak to the quality of the "kits" on ebay?
for the rebuild kits on differentials ?, I use boss bearings if they have them in stock.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
I think I have learnt my lesson with using any "Replacement bearing kit " = Quad Boss , Moose , AllBalls , any thing that comes in a package , if you are going to ride the black top or the grass in your back yard then you might be ok , but if you are going to put it in extreme conditions then you will be lucky to get over a year

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Slow progress, but progress nonetheless. I spent yesterday pulling everything off the frame starting with the front end. Takes a while when you're trying to keep it all tagged and organized, but everything's been pretty straightforward thus far. At this point I think I just need to remove the handlebar controls, wire harness, carb and motor. Then I'll finally be all out of excuses and have to deal with the rear end...

Let me say, those damn rear axle nuts are stuck on there something fierce. I've tried bathing them in PB blaster. Tried breaking them loose with a pair of giant adjustable wrenches and a 6 foot pipe extension, but got to the point where I was starting to twist the entire swingarm and they still weren't moving. I don't want to use a torch on them and cook my rear diff, so I think I'm gonna resort to cutting them with an angle grinder. As long as I don't damage the diff I should be good, since I've already got a replacement axle and hardware. If anyone has any other bright ideas feel free to chime in.

Once it's completely stripped I'll be getting it blasted and PC'ed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts