Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I need a little help. I've been enjoying my 91 TRX300 just driving it around the yard doing little things. It's been dependable, cranking overtime with no problems. I parked it in the backyard at Christmas to make room in the garage for things. I covered it with a new tarp and it has stayed dry. Today I went to crank it and it wouldn't do anything.

The neutral light comes on. When first turned on the oil temp light will come on for a quick second. I can put it in reverse and the reverse light comes on. The battery is new and has a good charge. The headlights work. It's in the run mode. When I hit the start button the neutral light dims and I hear a faint click, but nothing else happens. It's not even trying to start. Can someone give me some advice please?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Try cleaning and tightening the battery terminals. You can try jumping the terminals on the starter solenoid to isolate the solenoid—I always hate doing that.
Could be a dirty connection or maybe a starter solenoid. I replaced one this summer but it didn’t click at all; otherwise same

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
It takes a LOT of amps to crank an engine . . . not so many for powering lights. I think your battery is being drained by something while sitting. Try recharging. But we will need to figure out where the drain is very soon.

Rick

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
First of all, clean your battery cable ends and make sure they are tight on the battery terminals.

If no luck, hook jumper cables to a good battery to make sure you have plenty of juice.

If you still get nothing take a screwdriver and jump the terminals on the starter solenoid and see if the starter does anything.

If not tap lightly on the starter with a small hammer while hitting the starter button.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
AND, while doing what everyone has mentioned.. check the voltage on your battery.. IF the voltage is good, have it load tested.. could be a bad battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I'll check the voltage on the battery tomorrow, just got home. Are there fuses back there somewhere? No one has mentioned that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts