Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the bike running great even though I'm waiting for a carb rebuild kit, tonight while I had it ideling I noticed a fairly loud ticking from the motor and I'm convinced it's the timing chain, just wondering is there anything I can do before pulling the motor apart to maybe adjust it or something to see if it fixes the problem?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
No, they have automatic tensioners on them..If you're SURE that's what it is, then there's nothing really you can do...

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Yup there's no cheap fix for that but it should run heaps better after. My best running fourtrax has a new cam chain

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
You can check the timing chain slack before tearing the motor down to be sure that it needs one.

Crank the motor by hand until its at or near TDC on the compression stroke (to prevent the cam from backing up off of a lobe ramp) then take the plug out of the end of the tensioner and take the chain tensioner off the cylinder. Once its off, hold it back in against the chain guide and look at the gap between the tensioner and cylinder where it mounts. If there is 3/16" or less gap there the chain is worn out. To reinstall the tensioner, use a narrow screwdriver through the hole in the tensioner where you removed the plug earlier to back off the adjuster and hold onto it until the tensioner is screwed back down tight against the cylinder. Then release the screwdriver and put the plug back in the end of the tensioner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts