Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys great news! After getting my new cdi and some other components I got a battery all charged up plugged it in and with out even cleaning the carb or changing the gas I thought " why not turn her over and see if anything happens" and BAM just like that she started, no doubt the carb needs a cleaning and adjustment so that's the next step but now I'm wondering what oil filter do I need and what type of oil and number do I run? Also here's a little pic of what the bike looks like now!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Stock oil if its rebuilt and after its broken in you can change to a synthetic oil witch will lube better and extend your drains, say 600 miles stock drain interval extend that to 1000 miles. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply but the motor is not rebuilt just want to know what type of oil filter and what weight of oil and brand to use

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
A lot of guys on here use Amsoil and say it's very good, I don't have that available to me in the UK so can't comment. I beleive the oil you want is 10W 40 for wet clutches, it's motorcycle oil basically. Oil is oil, any brand will be fine but as with anything you tend to pay for quality. The filter is specific to your ATV, more than likely find one on eBay or your local ATV spares shop.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Great job!

I use honda gn4, stock oil filter make sure you install filter correctly. Installing backward will prevent oil flow and you'll smoke check the engine.

Do you have a service manual? Will describe how to properly determine oil level with dipstick--don't screw it in when checking or you'll leave oil level too low

It willalso describe How to clean the air filter and then soak it in gear oil, squeeze excess. If your air filter is shedding crumbley bits then replace it.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
A lot of guys on here use Amsoil and say it's very good, I don't have that available to me in the UK so can't comment. I beleive the oil you want is 10W 40 for wet clutches, it's motorcycle oil basically. Oil is oil, any brand will be fine but as with anything you tend to pay for quality. The filter is specific to your ATV, more than likely find one on eBay or your local ATV spares shop.
oil is not oil !..lol. there is oil made for cars/trucks ?, then there is oil made for atvs/motorcycles !. oil for cars/trucks has friction mods in them, where is, oil for atvs/motorcycles DOES NOT.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
oil is not oil !..lol. there is oil made for cars/trucks ?, then there is oil made for atvs/motorcycles !. oil for cars/trucks has friction mods in them, where is, oil for atvs/motorcycles DOES NOT.
I did state that it had to be for wet clutches ;-)
What I meant was it all does the same job but the quality will differ depending on brand. As long as the OP uses wet clutch oil it doesn't matter which brand he chooses as it will do the job just fine.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I did state that it had to be for wet clutches ;-)
What I meant was it all does the same job but the quality will differ depending on brand. As long as the OP uses wet clutch oil it doesn't matter which brand he chooses as it will do the job just fine.
true enough !. brand is a personal choice, right oil, for the right engine ?..THATS A MUST HAVE !..LOL.

Reactions: SamUK
1 - 9 of 9 Posts