Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone- this is my first post even though I own 5 Hondas! They have all been rock solid reliable and I am not easy on them. Anyway, some history on my 88 trx300: when I bought it used it would start fine on the battery as long as it was ridden frequently, if not you would have to use the kickstarter. Then I took it to my ranch where it would frequently sit for a month at a time, but would always start on the first kick. This went on for around 2 or 3 years until it got hard to start and I finally bought a new battery! It worked great for a day then wouldn't start at all so I brought it home to work on it. Well, when I got it home it started fine so I used it for a few weeks at home and when I went to take it back to the ranch it wouldn't start again! So, today I tested everything according to my Honda service manual and everything points to the ICM. I did some searching on this site and now I have a few questions: when the ICM goes out is it sudden or can it die a slow intermittent death? I also read about the reverse switch bypass but the described wiring doesn't match mine- it only has 3 wires -gray,light green and blue- no gray/black. Also, sometimes when I would turn on the key and the warning lites didn't come on, if i would just tap the kickstarter they would turn on. Because of these things I am not convinced it's the ICM and I don't want to just throw parts at it. Sorry for such a long post but I want to give all the info I can. Thanks in advance for any help in shedding light on this problem-Scott

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Welcome to the site, just like anything electrical, the ICM can go out all of a sudden or it can work one minute and not the next and then start working again. If everything points to it thats what I would do.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I agree. Welcome to the forums!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the replies! If I do need a new ICM where should I get it? I saw one post that said it was about $55. That doesn't seem too bad. If I can get the 300 running I might get started on my "free" 1987 trx125.-Scott

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Redracer- only Bikebandit had the ICM and it is $130! I'll try to find that post where he got one for $55 and see if he can steer me to where he bought it. Thanks again-Scott

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Ouch, Ebay maybe your best bet.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Just a simple thought ignitions switches fail too, so do the little red slide buttons on the bars. a key switch will creat an intermitten issue if its coroded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a simple thought ignitions switches fail too, so do the little red slide buttons on the bars. a key switch will creat an intermitten issue if its coroded.
I'm going to recheck everything because today when
I got home just for the hell of it pushed the start button and it fired right up! I dont mind getting what I need to fix it but I sure dont want to spend unnecessary $$$ and still have a dead quad.-Scott

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I'd start cleaning all the contacts and putting die electric grease on them

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad I didnt buy a new ICM. IT appears that the key switch could be the culprit, or an intermittent break in one of the wires to it. It's been starting every time now, but I'm not putting the plastic back on yet!!-Scott

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
If you have a two wire switch just un plug it and plug the wires into themselves in the harness. that bypasses the key switch then see what you have. if it has a third wire i think thats for the headlamps I think the red/black is ignition power.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you have a two wire switch just un plug it and plug the wires into themselves in the harness. that bypasses the key switch then see what you have. if it has a third wire i think thats for the headlamps I think the red/black is ignition power.
Now that I have been through the entire harness and all the switches I think I have it narrowed down to the key switch. It is intermittent so I'm waiting for it to fail again to confirm my diagnosis. If so I'll just replace it with a standard DPST switch as I don't really need or want a key anyway. Thanks to everyone for all the help- you guys saved me a chunk of $$$.-Scott

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Glad we could help out, FYI I would by pass it like I said and just use the slide switch if you want to cut it off.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I agree as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update- It wouldn't start again so I bypassed the key switch and still no start. I have 12 volts to the ICM. as long as there is 12v to the ICM shouldn't it start if the ICM is good? Anyone know where to get that $55 ICM?? As far as the reverse and neutral switch- if they were bad wouldn't the starter just not turn over, or will they keep it from starting even if it turns over? Does the alarm box have anything to do with ignition power or is it just an accessory? Sure glad I didn't put the plastic back on yet!! Thanks for all the help-Scott

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
When you say it won't start do you mean it will crank? or it's completely DOA? as far as the reverse switch and nuetral switch goes you can bypass those as well my reverse switch is bypassed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts