Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to replace my rear brakes the other day and the part the brake shoes rides on the brake panel busted off. I think I am getting the terms right. I think I need a new panel but everywhere I look it says not available. So the brake shoes aren't operating inside the drum. Any ideas on where to find a replacement or fix this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

So the pins that the shoes pivot on have broken off?

Only option is to buy a used one. Lot of parts on the older models are no longer available new.

I will say that if you don't have an aftermarket 4wd lockout cable (Warn 424 or Wide Open) that enables you to drive in 2wd, you'd be best served to get good front brakes and just use those.

On a 4wd Honda, when you slam on the front brakes, it locks up the wheels, which locks up the driveshaft going to the motor, which is the same driveshaft that goes all the way through the motor to the rear wheels, so if you're in 4wd (or have an all-time 4wd machine like a 300, 350 Rancher, 400 etc) and you lock up your front brakes, your rear wheels will lock up too.

If it were me, I'd leave the shoes out, put the drum and cover back on, and spend your time and money getting disc brakes up front.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I went to replace my rear brakes the other day and the part the brake shoes rides on the brake panel busted off. I think I am getting the terms right. I think I need a new panel but everywhere I look it says not available. So the brake shoes aren't operating inside the drum. Any ideas on where to find a replacement or fix this?

Thanks
which side of the brake shoe area are you talking about that broke off ?, the side where the shoes sit down in the cradle ?, or the end where the brake cam is ?. if I were to guess ?, i'm going with the cradle end !, as the cam end never breaks off, at least I've never seen it done ?. if the cradle end is broke off ?, then your best bet is search ebay for a good used rear brake backing plate, have a large bank account ?..as I can tell you, it won't come cheap !..lol.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
and welcome to the forums :).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes as far as I can tell it is the pivot pin. If you are looking at it this piece would be on the right. The left side is the pin that attaches to the brake lever and cable. I am assuming everything is stock. I bought it used back in October. And I am new to working on these. I have tightened the front brakes and they seem to be working good.
THanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Yes as far as I can tell it is the pivot pin. If you are looking at it this piece would be on the right. The left side is the pin that attaches to the brake lever and cable. I am assuming everything is stock. I bought it used back in October. And I am new to working on these. I have tightened the front brakes and they seem to be working good.
THanks for the help.
what your calling the pivot pin is not a pivot pin ?, that is called the cradle, but yes, you got the side correct :).

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
the brake cam from the back side, looking at the brake shoes from the front, on your left, is just that, the brake cam :).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks like I said I am new to working on these. Yes it would be the cradle. It looks like it is die cast and was part of the panel.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Ok thanks like I said I am new to working on these. Yes it would be the cradle. It looks like it is die cast and was part of the panel.
trust me, we were all new to them years ago !..lol. you will learn fast around the forums here, great bunch of people here ! :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts