Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My uncle is giving me his 88 300, he says it needs axles, its mine if I want to fix it, is this something that is a total PITA? I see you guys doing a lot with this year range so I am assuming the parts are readily available as well. Plan on picking it up this week to see what condition it really is, might be a nice summer project (2017 Rubicon was already purchased lol) so I have the time to take and don't need to rush through it.

Everything is original to 88, and never rode it hard but I am sure there are other items to be replaced on it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It is definitely worth pursuing, and if you are getting it for free, you can put a decent amount of money into it and still be ahead. Who knows? Maybe it's not as bad as he is thinking.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Agreed with hodge, i got mine for free and only need slight maintenance and resto. Plus i have mods on the way for mine. Good luck with yours pal! Hope she lasts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I am on the same idea you guys are, even at free and it needs a ton of work, the old girl probably has some life left in her, it is a honda after all!

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
Joker , you never mentioned 2wd or 4wd ---- a few things I don't like about the 1st generation is some parts only fit that generation and are getting hard to come by , the fuel tank , frame , some electrical parts , on 2wd drive models the entire front end is different

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joker , you never mentioned 2wd or 4wd ---- a few things I don't like about the 1st generation is some parts only fit that generation and are getting hard to come by , the fuel tank , frame , some electrical parts , on 2wd drive models the entire front end is different
Its a 4x4 model, and thats what I was worried about, getting into the project halfway and finding out that I just can't find certain things, being it is free, I don't mind doing "upgrades" as long as I can make it reliable and for the partsa I can't find or decide need to be a little more beefy.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Axles arent hard to do at all, Go ahead and put new wheel bearings, ball joints and tie rod ends on while you are doing it. You will have all those parts off anyway.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
joker, the motor alone is bullet proof ! ( if you don't abuse it ?..lol ), they last forever !!.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
joker, the motor alone is bullet proof ! ( if you don't abuse it ?..lol ), they last forever !!.
Yeah that what I hear, free is another reason to look at it lol to have another good running bike.
if you take your time, replace parts with good parts ?, I am pretty sure you will have a solid atv !. the trx300 was, and still is, Honda's best selling/made atv ever, hands down the best ever made in my book !.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I wonder if yu'll trade motor work ?, lol, I've got to start putting my '05 trx500fm motor all back together, it's different than a trx300fw for sure !..lol. ( no, I really don't want to trade motors !..lol ).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.