Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1988 250x i recently got its my first quad and its been built from what the guy said to be a little faster then a 300ex well all is dandie i get it home clean the carb and the compression is really good well all is good 1st fine strong brings me up 2nd good strong brings me up 3rd .. OMG wtf is that lol in a bad way it feels like 3rd is out of it i read that some early models had that problem whats it take to fix it sounds rough shakes and i just let off and down shift any help with this thing would be super thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Hmm your saying yo got a bad noise or feeling in third? is it shuddering or making any popping noises?

Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats what im saying and i guess thats a better way to put it that its shuddering the front end what hit 3rd and it pops as well

and thanks for the welcome

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
either the M3 gear on the main inputshaft has a bad teeth on it or your clutches are bad and your not noticing it in 1st or 2nd since it's pulling harder then... How is 4th and 5th and Rewind?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 and 2 pull hard like u said and 4th boggs down but if i ride the clutch alittle to try to get it to whine more to get it faster but it seems to be fine i can check more when i get home

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
ok but in first and second do you feel any thing? try shifting with out gunning it. take off real easy and see if it shutters if it does the your clutch basket has some bad places on it it's not allowing the disc to float back and fourth without exerting any force. fourth and fifth will bog a bit all of our quads power is through the first 3 gears fourth will pull moderately well and 5th well is just 5th a top gear. Bogging will not necessarily be in the engine it may be in the jetting as well. the slow jet or idle circuit controls the throttle until about 1/4 the needle controls from 1/4 to about 3/4 anything after that is the main jet. Since dynojet doesn't offer any jet kits to fit our 250Xs the 300EX carb kit will work since they are the same engines except for the stroke. we are just over 57mm the 300 is right at 62mm the bore (74mm) is the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well i went out 1 and 2 slow shifts all is fine then i slow shift 3rd still there 4th is not bog but slow you now 2nd to 4th theres a dropage its there just nothing special also where do you get your aftermarket/factory parts such as the gears and stuff never split a case or anything so idk what it takes but it has be cheaper then the 1000$ from the deal/stealership

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I would try where mud suggested of find a blown 250X and grab the gears. I actually have a complete engine it has a brand new set of gears but i need to hold on to it for now incase my fat A breaks what I;m riding...lol

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
I would try where mud suggested of find a blown 250X and grab the gears. I actually have a complete engine it has a brand new set of gears but i need to hold on to it for now incase my fat A breaks what I;m riding...lol
Ya I feel bad for your 250 for having to carry your big butt around. LOL JK. I couldn't pass that one up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts