Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When looking at the flywheel side of the engine should it run clockwise or counter clockwise?

Trying to diagnose a starter issue and I think its running backward. The one way bearing seems to work as it spins one way and not the other but this if my first Honda bike of this vintage and I'm not sure what has been molested on it. I ordered the starter for an 87 TRX350D and it fits but I think somehow its running backward.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
When looking at the flywheel side of the engine should it run clockwise or counter clockwise?

Trying to diagnose a starter issue and I think its running backward. The one way bearing seems to work as it spins one way and not the other but this if my first Honda bike of this vintage and I'm not sure what has been molested on it. I ordered the starter for an 87 TRX350D and it fits but I think somehow its running backward.
While looking at the motor from the left side (flywheel side) of the bike, normal crankshaft rotation is counter-clockwise.

Your positive and negative cables connecting to the starter post & ground could be swapped if the starter motor is trying to turn the motor over in reverse. The opposite end of the cable that connects to the post on the side of the starter, should connect to one of the large posts on the solenoid. The other large post on the solenoid connects to battery positive (+). The battery negative (-) cable connects to motor ground using one of the starter mounting bolts.

Hope this helps...

Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
either starter is wrong ?, or the battery leads from the starter solenoid is wired wrong to the starter ?. been there...done that !..lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This starter has a single pole for the positive cable and grounds directly to the engine. I don't see how the polarity could be wrong. I looked at the one I bought and it said it was clockwise and this one runs counter. I think I got a defective one.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
It isn't a defective starter if it runs... but turns the wrong way.... it might be a cheap china made clone.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Your replacement starter has to be the extended shaft model to work right... the armature shaft is supported by a bearing in the reduction gear cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your replacement starter has to be the extended shaft model to work right... the armature shaft is supported by a bearing in the reduction gear cover.

I have the extended nose but it does go the wrong way.

·
Registered
599 Posts
To change the direction of rotation of your starter motor you need to take it apart, turn the center section around end-for-end, and put it back together. The center section contains the permanent magnets, and when you turn it around, this changes the polarity of the magnets, resulting in a change in the direction of rotation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I have since purchased 5 (yes 5) starters and all of them said counter clockwise. I go through the same process and as them if the shaft spins clockwise when facing the output shaft, and they say yes. Does anyone know where I can get the right starter?

PS. I absolutely hate this thing so far. I've have Can-Am, Polaris, and Yamaha; none of them have been such a pain. I hope my mind gets changed once its going again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts