Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys my 87 trx350 doesn’t crank. I can hear the starter whirring sound but the engine doesn’t crank up. New battery, new spark plug. If I put it in gear and move it a little and than go back to neutral it will crank for a bit before it stops cranking and just does the whirring sound.

·
Registered
50 Posts
its sounds like your starter gear is not engaging. your starter gear may not have teeth left on it, or may seized or jammed. if you take out the starter and see the condition, you can decide what to do from there

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Yeah if the reduction gear or starter gear is broken off you don’t want it to start until you’re sure you got all the broken pieces out.

download the service manual from the link in my signature block below. Folder TRX350 Foreman

use the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla to find available parts and part numbers

87 TRX350A or TRX350D foreman?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe it’s trx350a. So the starter gear and the reduction gear are pretty bad going to replace them. Problem I have is the gasket is pretty much damaged and can’t be put back on. I’m trying to find it but it looks like everywhere is discontinued. Is there another option for the gasket?

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Yup I bought mine from Rocky Mountain atv.

so if yours is an 87 then you’ll have the teardrop shaped gasket instead of the oval like mine

are you missing any teeth off the gears? Metal chunks missing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the reduction gear is missing a lot of teeth and the gears on the starter itself is pretty rounded. Yeah I have the teardrop one. Thanks man.

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
You might want to check that starter it looks like the shaft is too short. I’m not sure though
I have some 87s I’ll pull the cover and snap a pic for you.
So the problem with chunks is that large ones can get caught between the pickup coil and stator bars. This can wreck a stator. So it’s a small risk but if you want to pull the stator cover just to make sure. We’ll coach you on that too. Youll want a left side gasket then also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the starter isn't all the way in. I took out the 2 bolts holding it. going to replace the starter, the gears looks worn on it. i'll pull the cover off the stator tomorrow morning to check for the missing chunks. I do just use a magnet to remove them?

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Light

Oh! Yeah that explains the short starter shaft.

so if you’re going to remove the stator cover it’s pretty easy EXCEPT don’t let that shift shaft slide out.

just like the manual sez remove the bolts. Use a thick rag when you pry the prop shaft out, and don’t pry on the cover. There are two dowels like you see on the starter reduction gear cover. While you’re trying to get the cover loose that sneaky shift shaft will want to come out

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Automotive lighting Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Strap Metal

If any chunks they will be laying in the bottom to the left where the green plug is. Maybe some in flywheel
Flywheel tucks in there so not a lot of room for flying chunks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright guys it’s been a bit but I finally got almost everything put together. Well most. I’m trying to put this sleeve part back but it doesn’t seem to want to go in all the way. Do you guys have any tricks or suggestions?
Motor vehicle Auto part Metal Automotive wheel system Close-up

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Do you have the tires on the ground? Jack up the front and slightly rotate—allow the splines to mate
because that drive shaft locks the two together

1 - 15 of 15 Posts