Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, This is frustrating, when I hit the start button I just get a clicking noise. I have to use the kick start, and it turns right over. I sent it to the honda dealer and they said it was no big deal. 2 months later, same thing. It's a brand new battery, and I clean the connections on it, I clean the connection on top of the starter. I still have the same thing. It sounds like a connection problem somewhere between the battery and the starter. I'm not sure what is in between and where to look. Any ideas?

-Thanks, Tom

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Take you a push button remote starter you can get it from napa,advance, ect. connect it to the large post on the starter and the small post on the starter hit the button if it cranks over you either have a relay issue or a button. By using the remote you bypass everything inbetween the starter and push button on the bars. also doing this eliminates taking off the starter to have it tested. Also check your grounds take them off and clean the connector and connecting point with sand paper. let us know what you find.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Tom I almos forgot....if you still get the click when you bypass the start system chance are your starter is no good remove it and take it to a shop that rebuilds starter and let them test it before you go out and buy a new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I give it a try. Can I used an external 12v battery pack, connect 1 side to ground and the other side to the the positive terminal of the starter?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
NO NO NO just get a button they are really inexpensive... Arcing batteries Explode be safe do it the right way blowing batteries don't feel so good. Wear safety glasses too anytime you work on anytype of machinery! It's a great habit to form. Most will agree.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Maybe it's your starter. (BTW I didin't really read this whole thread just the 1st post)

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Now J 2da B you know you gots to read it all b4 you post...maybe its your starter...LOL

Maybe it's your starter. (BTW I didin't really read this whole thread just the 1st post)

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
LOL J thats funny.
MOOSE thats some good advice. I really like the safty glasses part. I was in the back yard earlier and shot a racoon that was digging in the trash and something hit me in the eye when that gun reloaded. It SUCKED so that safty glasses thing is right on.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I always wear them afterall you only got the pair GOD gave you and I like seeing at my wife and kids.... although if she would just wear that shirt I got her with the braile on the front....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, moose for the info. I haven't got around to pick the push button started yet. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
195 Posts
have you checked to see what the voltage is on the battery? Also, while you are trying to start it, tap the starter with a block of wood or a small hammer. If it starts up, then get a new starter. If nothing happens, then there is something else going on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the voltage check or if you have another battery try that. Sometimes the core gets shaken too much and ruins the battery. That's what happened to mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts