Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. Just read about 10 pages of threads on this forum and found out a bunch of information - Thanks.

I have an 87 350D I bought recently and the carb is giving me fits. The fuel pump works but doesn't receive a signal from the pulse generator so I'm waiting on parts for that.

When I got it the it didn't run and the pilot screw was turned out about 12 turns. I took the carb apart and cleaned it in my ultrasonic cleaner, installed a Moose rebuild kit for it and everything fit well.

The problem with the carb is that it look like the previous owner may have substituted the main jet holder from something else. The needle looks like its a mile away from the Main Jet when its installed. It will run if I rev up the throttle but it spits gas out of the air intake side of the carb where the boot to the air cleaner would go. Its getting too much fuel in the idle circuit. I rigged up a temporary fuel bottle that gravity feeds into the side of the carb. If I intentionally run it out of gas it will run and idle perfect for a few seconds just before it totally runs out of fuel.

The pilot jet has been set at anywhere from 1/2 a turn to 3 turns out and still way too rich.

I'm getting fed up with this thing. Does anyone have a spare carb they'd sell me or know of a replacement that the choke and throttle cables will work on?

Thank Josh

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Set a "Followed Search" on Ebay and it will show up eventually. Looks like this is the Honda part number for the holder from the Cheap Cycle Parts web site:

16165-HA7-671

Take this number to your local Honda dealer and ask them to run a dealer parts search. It could be out there waiting on a shelf somewhere to be purchased by you for short money.

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Did you set the needle jet clipped at the third slot. This will ensure it drop down far enough.
Can you post a pic?
I have a spare carb on my workbench I can reference for part sizes. Sorry I don’t want to sell it.
Main jet holder you mean the plastic piece?

There’s a Parts link in my sig block

BTW that gasket you see on the one jet doesn’t belong there I’ve since changed the float as well and installed a 138.5 main jet

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
A few pix of the my carb—it was a junker when I bought it—I cleaned the heck out of it with pipe cleaners and cotton swabs. No abrasives!!

unfortunately was also missing the plastic jet holder but I found one.

If I were you I would also buy a new float and starter valve as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Heres a picture of the bottom of the carb. If it looks like the pilot screw is out a bunch it's because it is. I've tried it at various settings an no noticeable change.

i'm not sure why every picture i upload is upside down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
If there’s no change you may have a broken idle screw tip broken off in the hole. Check that teeny tiny hole for obstruction. Check your new idle screw for damage

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you have the carb off, boil it in a mixture of lemon juice and water for about a half hour then use an air compressor and blow out every hole in the carb...will make it run like new again.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: b52bombardier1

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Try to remove any plastic or rubber that is easy to remove but the boiling is a good idea. Do it outside - this process smells bad.

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Heres a picture of the bottom of the carb. If it looks like the pilot screw is out a bunch it's because it is. I've tried it at various settings an no noticeable change.

i'm not sure why every picture i upload is upside down.
It looks like the float valve in your carb is the wrong one, the main and pilot jets look aftermarket, float level looks way too high, etc. I'd like to see that carb completely disassembled with all those parts laid out next to it... along with the original parts that were in that carb laid out nearby for comparison.

A Moose carb kit is a china kit, so if you used any hard parts from a Moose kit ya gotta take them all back out. On most Honda carbs nowadays you've gotta scrounge for OEM hard parts or many times a Shindy kit works. Every other brand I've come across (so far) is useless china garbage.

Let us know if we can help you more. I have an OEM I can take apart for photos if you want to see what a working carb looks like... its not for sale though...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update....

In my search for another carb I found whole other machine for $250. I drug that thing home on Sunday and pulled the crusty carb off. It soaked for a couple of days, and today I assembled it with the "junk" Chinese rebuild kit. Both carbs have been rebuilt before so I no longer have the factory jets.

It fired right up and idled like a new machine. Took it for a ride around the back yard and I love it.

Checked the mail and fuel cut relay and pulse generator showed up from Babbits. Even though the stock fuel cut relay checked out 100% good I replaced it and the fuel pump fired right up. I'll replace the hoses tomorrow and it'll be finished.

Thanks for the advice and help from everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Thanks for letting us know you got it fixed! I'd be looking for some OEM jets and other hard parts for it though, if you expect it to run right for long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts