Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a 1987 TRX350D and I have some questions. The previous owner said it was a 1987. A sticker on the front end says TRX350D 1988 manufacturing dates 05/87
So what year is it as I cannot find the VIN
I got it for $200 but it has no seat (blew off) I put a carb kit in it and it Purrs like a kitten now. Has original tires and the air filter was original as soon as I pulled it into the sunlight it acted like Dracula!!
Came with a winch and a newer 48 inch warn plow.
Brakes don't work front or back they are just soft although the rears seem to lock if you push them way down.
What is the right handlebar lever even used for?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
welcome to the forums. you have one of the rarest colors for that make/model !. well done !. as for the vin number ?, front, middle, right under the plastic guard in the middle of the cross tube, above the sticker, you may need to LIGHTLY !, sand the paint/rust, so you can see the 17 digits ?, read from left to right, look for the 10th digit, tell us what it is ?, then we can tell you what year it is ?.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
gonna go with a 1988 trx350D foreman is my guess :). ( yes..i know these models inside and out ! ).

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Score! Wow might want to look for that seat they can be hard to find. Unless it was thrashed then look for another.
Shade did this color combo have the grey seat?

Right lever is for front brakes are hydraulic and those bolts on the reservoir cap tell me the system needs bleeding
Left lever and right foot pedal is for the rear brake (1) is cable actuated and on the right rear

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Score! Wow might want to look for that seat they can be hard to find. Unless it was thrashed then look for another.
Shade did this color combo have the grey seat?

Right lever is for front brakes are hydraulic and those bolts on the reservoir cap tell me the system needs bleeding
Left lever and right foot pedal is for the rear brake (1) is cable actuated and on the right rear
yes, they had a gray seat if my memory is any good now ?..lol.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Whatever color the plastic louvers/dash etc are, are the same as what the seat was. Grey = grey seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
two color grays back then, but mine musta been re-covered ?, it's black.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You might take a look at these two links for a FREE service manual download for the 86-89 years.

I downloaded from one of the links, do not remember which one of the links.
If it don't download the first time just try again.
I then made a CD of the Honda manual from the computer download so as if the computer crashed I could re-install, etc.

Real good info in the Service manual that will answer lots of your questions about repairing the 86-89 foreman and fourtrax 350 4x4. Will also show you where to look for the ID numbers and how to decode them.

1986-1989 Fourtrax-Foreman 350

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...lp/7699-need-service-manual-1987-trx350d.html

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Yeah!
Soak that old air filter in solvent like KN filter cleaner if it sheds particles of filter get a NOS filter. Wash that filter soak in gear oil and squeeze out excess

Don't use regular motor oil only wet clutch oil
Be careful changing oil filter there's a spring in there needs to go in properly and the filter only goes in one way but is possible to install backwards and oil won't flow

Added pic of gear oil type

Fuel tank has a drain bolt you can access thru hole in guard pan

Added pic of fuel filter

Attachments

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Whatever color the plastic louvers/dash etc are, are the same as what the seat was. Grey = grey seat.

What was that grey and faded grey lol. I'd have to look for the other color as I don't remember it, just remember the light grey and the black, and purple ish....

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts

What was that grey and faded grey lol. I'd have to look for the other color as I don't remember it, just remember the light grey and the black, and purple ish....

all of these are what is showing at my local Honda web site dealer ship fich ----> '86 trx350- shows no color ?, '87 trx350-spacy gray , '88 trx350-olympic gray, '89 trx350-olympic gray. all these are state side colors ?, prob diff up yunder mac ?. and i'd bet if they showed the color of the '86 just now for this seat ?, it prob would be black ?, as that is a common color anyway :).

Reactions: Goober

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ordered an OEM air filter and oil filter along with oil seals and even the spring.
I'm an Amsoil 0W-40 guy- many of you may not like hearing that but it works great on wet clutches. I use it on all my wheelers I've ever had (except my LT500)
Air filter picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ordered an OEM air filter and oil filter along with oil seals and even the spring.
I'm an Amsoil 0W-40 guy- many of you may not like hearing that but it works great on wet clutches. I use it on all my wheelers I've ever had (except my LT500)
Air filter picture:
Due to the condition of your air filter, if you have not checked yet, I would carefully remove the snorkel at the carb intake, my 86 has a screened intake just before the carb intake and several chunks of foam and mice nests was hanging in the screen.

The previous owner had a mice infestation and they chewed up on the air filter and made a nest in the air filter box and I'm sure that few small pieces must have got burned in the engine.
The engine would have probably been ruined or damaged if not for the screen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okie I did see the screens. Seemed to be two of them in the carb end of the tube but you can't get at them. I let it soak in cleaner for a while. Blew the air hose through and got it as clean as possible.
I'll be using this baby to plow my driveway here in WI if we ever get any snow.....maybe next year!

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Okie I did see the screens. Seemed to be two of them in the carb end of the tube but you can't get at them. I let it soak in cleaner for a while. Blew the air hose through and got it as clean as possible.
I'll be using this baby to plow my driveway here in WI if we ever get any snow.....maybe next year!
is this a old trx350 ?, no screens in the carb !. the screens he was speaking of are in the air box tube, I know there is one at the intake side of the carb, but it mounts to the tube, not in the carb :).

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Toddod are u referring to the air filter body shown in the picture? Yeah try to get all the rust off that there's an inner and outer portion you can't take apart only clean

Attachments

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

all of these are what is showing at my local Honda web site dealer ship fich ----> '86 trx350- shows no color ?, '87 trx350-spacy gray , '88 trx350-olympic gray, '89 trx350-olympic gray. all these are state side colors ?, prob diff up yunder mac ?. and i'd bet if they showed the color of the '86 just now for this seat ?, it prob would be black ?, as that is a common color anyway :).
I think the space gray is the darker and the olyimpic is the lighter. We basically had the same colours up here save for a couple extra's maybe? The REB machines were built in the early 1990's, USA machines were not imported then so, you guys would never of got them down there. I want to say there was another gray, almost like the cosmic grey 300's made in the 1990's also but I can't find a pic of one, so it may be my imagination. Feel like it was light gray fenders and dark gray or black? louvers and top plastic, seat I don't remember the color.

I forgot to post a pic of the purple plastic, and REB fenders lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts