Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So folks I was around here a bit years ago when I got my 350d from another guy needing lots of minor work. Back then Shadetree helped me bunches over the phone diagnosing all sorts of random stuff that the previous owner screwed up on the machine.

None the less it's been running well and getting used almost solid since then and it was probably 8 years ago;) Until last winter, I started having an issue it was running like crap couldn't figure it out. Ended up with fuel in the oil, so a carb issue etc etc. Well I figured out the mice had been having a field day with my 350 while it sat during the summer prior, they killed the solenoid among other things. So I went ahead fixed all of that but it still never quite ran right, it was ok but it acted almost as though it was running choked despite the choke being off so kinda loading up etc. But since I primarily use it to haul firewood to my shop it's typically short runs and honestly I'd been too busy to fiddle with it.

Well last week I drove it around to the wood shed and shut it down and now it won't start at all. So I went ahead and started checking things(initially figured it flooded and ruined the plug). So I checked that and it was flooded, so I replaced the plug. Then I went ahead and really tore into it, well found a mouse nest in the air box along with debris that made it past the air cleaner into the carb. Little bits of leaves/nest etc. So I cleaned all that out, cleaned the air filter, tore the carb down and went through it cleaning it out. I believe I figured out what was wrong with it all this time the slide had little bits of debris stopping it from traveling smoothly, so it would sometimes stick other times return properly. In my head that makes sense to the way it was running. So I cleaned the carb went through everything put it back together and still won't start and run.

Where I'm at, I know fuel pump is working fine, opened the drain on the bottom of the carb with the relay bypassed and the pump pushes out fuel. I checked spark with a brand new plug and the spark looks great(looked like crap on the old plug, so I was quite happy to see this). So I've got fuel, I've got spark and it's maybe twice in 20 seconds of cranking I'll get a pop and that's it. Doesn't seem to be hosing down the plug with fuel the last time I pulled it so I'm kinda at a loss where to go from here.

I never messed with the timing on this machine never had to, I'm not afraid to fiddle if maybe it jumped time or something. But I guess if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it since at the moment I'm hauling firewood by hand like a heathen;)

Take care!

Luke

Oh and while I'm thinking about it, is Shadetree still around? Just wondered since while reading around here I saw the name and it brought back all those memories of rebuilding this machine;) And I'm sure I'm going to be around a fair bit since this spring I picked up another 350d that I'm going to eventually start getting running. Ideally it won't just be a parts machine but the jury is out since the motor is stuck and I'm not sure what the story is yet, so I'm not sure how much damage is in there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you checked that your intake and exhaust valves are moving and not seized open? compression test? Sounds like a lot of crap may have made it to the cylinder. changed the oil? I've had the same issue with one of my quads where the carburetor float failed and the entire tank of gas dumped into the crankcase and it ran poorly just like yours, like it was loaded up and then eventually wouldn't even start. That's when I dug deeper and found over a gallon of liquid in the crankcase.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts