Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
87 350 foreman locker

I am trying to get a locker for my 87 350 foreman and am having problems. Highlifter says there book dose not show an application for it but cheap cycle parts says they have one for it but it is the same one highlifter says according to there book it dose not fit.

Looking on honda parts source I may be able to use the one that fits the 88 300 is has the same clutch plates in the diff as mine dose and the cross pin is the same all I need to know now is if the axle shaft size and spline count are the same as on mine.

I have seen posts in the past of people who had a locker in one of these older quads but cant find it now. So if any one can help it would be greatly appreciated.

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
Did you try asking on the High Lifter forums? I think there's more info on lockers there.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked on highlifter no luck so far just found out that some people have welded them. Any body know the shaft size and spline count of an 87 350 or any year 300 4x4?

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
I asked on highlifter no luck so far just found out that some people have welded them. Any body know the shaft size and spline count of an 87 350 or any year 300 4x4?
neither service manuals i have show the spline count or axle size..i can tell you this..seeing how both the '87 trx350's and the trx300's use a limited slip differentals..it's gonna be hard to put a locking differental after market in them.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
neither service manuals i have show the spline count or axle size..i can tell you this..seeing how both the '87 trx350's and the trx300's use a limited slip differentals..it's gonna be hard to put a locking differental after market in them.
Thanks for looking..... the locker is easy to install just gut your front diff and install the new parts.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Thanks for looking..... the locker is easy to install just gut your front diff and install the new parts.
lol..my luck..once i gut it..it will fall apart !..no thanks..if it's not broken..don't mess with it...if it is broken..then it needed replacing anyway !..lol.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok si here is what I have figured out so far 86 350D's have a lower gear ratio.

300s have a .80 shaft with 20splines
my 350 has .75 shaft with 20splines

I am going to take my stuff to the atv salvage place and compare cause the .80 was with his micrometer and the .75 was with my beat old mic. So it may work with a side by side.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I went on a trail ride yesterday and when I got home I put the limited slip back in. The welded front was great in the mud or rock crawling but on trails especially down hill on dirt with rocks it was very difficult to control and at times uncontrollable. As well as in ruts it did what it wanted.

Dose the highligter locker behave the same on hills and ruts?

I am going to take my spare diff to the salvage yard this week and see how it fits the 300 axel.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took my diff to the ATV wreaking yard and it looks like my measurements were right the 300 Axel is just barley to big to fit in my diff. So no locker for me.

· Registered
15 Posts
No to highjack, but could you tell me where you found a locker for a 88?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.