Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1987 TRX250x that recently started to kick and grind in 3rd gear. I pulled the engine out and split the case but there is no visible damage to any transmission parts. One shift fork shows some abnormal wear but doesn’t appear to be bent. Any ideas/help? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Welcome to the Forums!!... How do the clutches look ? You say it has started to kick and grind in 3rd gear? what doe it do during the shift from 2nd to 3rd? also when you pulled the casing apart did you find any metal in the oil or on the drain plug magnet? third gear should be the 39tooth gear in the cluster of 4 gears on the counter shaft the first gear closest to the small splines on the shaft should be 3rd the next is the C5 gear (33T) then the counter reverse (32T) the large gear should be C1 (48T) check all the gear splines, mark one tooth and count and inspect every tooth until you get back to the marked one you have either a bad gear or a bad bearing do this for all the gears. I know this takes time but you will see something. I have a Honda service manual if you need pics for refrence.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clutch is worn but the problem only occurs in 3rd gear. It shifts in and out of third fine but at about half throttle or more it would kick in and out of gear and grind. There was no metal in the oil. I have gone through all the transmission gears and all the teeth are ok. The only problem I can see is, on one of the gears that the shift fork engages the three dogs are slightly rounded over and on the gear that it fits into the slots are also a little worn.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
How about 4th and 5th? The gear that has the worn Dogs is it the 21 toothed gear? if so that is the M3 gear on the mainshaft I think that's the 3rd gear your having the issue with.
That qould be number 10 on the pic...Is that the one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the ones with the wear are C4 and C2 which fit together.I think that is 15 and 8 above.Which doesnt make sense because that is 2nd and 4th gear?I herd that this 3rd gear problem happened in some of the early 87's and honda issued an update kit to fix them,but i cant locate the update to see which parts they changed in the transmission.I dont want to buy a bunch of parts that arnt needed but also dont want to put it back together and not have the problem fixed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts