Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im back got the cdi box on and she fired right up wwwwoooohhhoooo ran for about three min then died. i did find out it is a stock carb that runs way to rich lol.i had it apart to look at what jetts in it. it has three jets 48 needle,152 main and im asuming a 38 slow what do you recomend? help please

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
The manual lists the stock jets for the '87 model as:

Main #152

Slow #48

Jet needle in the 3rd groove.

Air screw opening 1 7/8 turns out.

Optional main jets #148, #150, #155, #158

If you think it is running rich, try a #148 or #150 and see what happens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i started it about an hour ago it smoked like hell could that be from the oil separating in the gas when it sits for awhile?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
when i started it about an hour ago it smoked like hell could that be from the oil separating in the gas when it sits for awhile?
I don't know. If you're using good 2-stroke oil, it shouldn't separate. Some brands of oils will smoke more than others too. Are you mixing it 20:1?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
The repair manual says to mix it 20:1.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
20:1 is based on oil in 1989 at the latest. Oils have come a long way since then, especially Amsoil synthetic. I know many of the guys on 3WO with ATC250R's mixed at 40:1 with no issues.

Rob

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
i am running 155/48 right now. Have stock motor with FMF pipe/silencer and cr250 reed body with spacer.

My old motor was a CT Racing 275cc. I was running 165/48

I also do 40:1 with 93 octane. Most people run 40:1 in these quads

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
20:1 is based on oil in 1989 at the latest. Oils have come a long way since then, especially Amsoil synthetic. I know many of the guys on 3WO with ATC250R's mixed at 40:1 with no issues.

Rob
I didn't know that, it's been years since I messed with a 2-stroke.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this is 60 over with v force reeds and dyno port exhaust with pro design cool head. so whats the best to run 20:1 32:1 40:1 lol?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it was at 50:1 but my cousin who race 250 bikes said they ran 32:1 so im lost and why i dropped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
should i stay with stock carb andsmaller main jet and put everything back to stock? and what oil t6o run i buy the best so price is not an option lol.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
BEtter to ba a little rich on the mix in a 2 stroke that's for sure... 40:1 is good... I mix 50:1 or 2.6 oz to the gallon in all my stihl cut-off saws at work.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I use Dominator Synthetic 2-Cycle Racing Oil - high-performance two-cycle oil with a performance emphasis on exhaust power valves. Contains high levels of detergent additives to prevent valve sticking. Injector use or up to 50:1 premix. Contains high levels of detergent additives to prevent valve sticking.

Interceptor Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil is also a great oil. Racing 2-cycle oil with an emphasis toward high-horsepower and modified racing or trail motors. Contains higher viscosity base oils for best overall protection and additives for higher operating temperatures. Injector use or up to 50:1 pre-mix.

Both will work great in the 250r. You need to read the spark plug to get the jetting just right. Here is a good way to test your jetting - CT Racing go to break in procedures #5,6

I will PM you a price quote in the morning on the 2 oils.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts