Honda ATV Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
after giving this some thought, this starter you have that runs backwards, any chance it maybe for a trx300 ?, some of the trx300 starters are almost the same, cept I think ?, they turn backwards from what a trx350 ( likes yours does ), ya never know what some dummy tossed on that atv !..lol.

Reactions: Goober

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Thanks for the question—this very starter worked and started up the quad before I rebuilt it. Never did take it back to the starter shop to see if they could reverse the polarity. I put two new rebuild kits in it.
I couldn’t rebuild the starter you sent me so i found a used one for $30 on the fleabay. I took it apart and looked very good—installed it Cranked it ( header is off) started right up!

fitted the header but didn’t tighten it down—started doing spot rust treatment with Total Solutions. Works pretty darn good!!

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Fixed all the rust spots.
Found a set of wheels and tires at a local auction. $100!
Ready to start hanging hardware on ‘er.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Hung a bunch of parts on this thing and took it out for the first ride I’ve had since I brought this sad ol tank home.
Runs great but overheats; I’ll look at the oil sensor and fan control

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
Hung a bunch of parts on this thing and took it out for the first ride I’ve had since I brought this sad ol tank home.
Runs great but overheats; I’ll look at the oil sensor and fan control
View attachment 150052
looking great !!!. yeppers, oil temp sensor or fan control unit is bad.

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
and be sure to test the fan itself with 12 dc volts from a battery !. if the fan is bad ?, then it will never kick on ?, please keep in mind..these old gals have to get REALLY HOT !, before the fan kicks on.

Reactions: Goober

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Thanks @shadetree
There was slight smoke coming off the jug and the fan never kicked on. It was pretty hot.
The fan runs when I connect the sensor wires; and I swapped the oil sensor out with another.
Guess i will have to test the oil sensors.

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
Thanks @shadetree
There was slight smoke coming off the jug and the fan never kicked on. It was pretty hot.
The fan runs when I connect the sensor wires; and I swapped the oil sensor out with another.
Guess i will have to test the oil sensors.
slight oil left over from build ?, leaking out somewhere ?, or that new paint job you gave the header pipe ?. check for the source of the smoke. you can unplug the oil temp sensor off the sensor, turn the key on, ground the wire to the engine, if the fan is good ?, then it will kick on. this does not how ever rule out a bad fan control unit !, but it does point to the oil temp sensor !. and your welcome bro !.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Great suggestions Shadetree thanks.
Yup, i thought it might be the header paint too or an oil leak from the front valve cover. The smoke was coming off from all over the head. fan works well and it doesn’t get hot with the sensor shorted and fan running.
i removed the FCU—gonna dry it out along with another oil temp sensor. I’ll test the sensors later this week with a temp probe and heated pan of oil.
If they check good and I can’t get the FCU to trip, i can install a nice looking switch assembly to the fan.
??

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Getting closer to finishing this project.

Ive polished the plastic with Novus plastic polish #2 for fine scratches. Then i added new fender stripes using 3M conspicuity reflective tape

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Pretty much done—the engine had a little smoke wafting off it so i tested the oil sensor. Resistance is s little high so I installed the best one i have and put a switch on the fan. maybe it was just residual oil and new paint coming off the header.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts