Honda ATV Forum banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
If I remember right the cross brace that bolts to the lower part of the frame on each side and serves as a lower-front motor mount bracket has to be left out of there until the header pipe is fitted back in place. There might be more to that though.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I wire wheeled the Cobra glass-pac muffler and exhaust header pipe. Mostly surface rust on the muffler and minor pitting on the header. Then wiped it down with paint thinner.
I shook up the Total Solutions—poured the milky stuff into a paint pan. Used a wide chip brush to apply it to the pieces. As it began to react with the surface it began to turn purple.
I see why @GirlsRideToo you use a smaller brush; i was a little sloppy.
Wished i had some “before” pics

So maybe I will try to smooth the finish on the header tomorrow
Takes 48 hours to cure

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
The rust conversion to iron tannate should be stable and permanent, so it should withstand the high exhaust temp without issue, right? But I wonder about the water-based paintable coating... will that survive on a red hot header? Are you intending to remove the coating after the conversion completes?

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Hmm good question
I will hit it with a stripper heat gun tomorrow; will probably be easier than sanding it off lol

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
Wow , that exhaust looks good ! ------- I have tried painting the exhaust with all kinds of heat paint , nothing seems to last too long

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
The stripper gun melted that conversion coating but it’s VERY hard to get off now. LOLs

Oh well i needed to convert the rust and now i know more about how to use it and the limitations for high heat use.

I’ll hit it with the wire wheels again and then use a 200F primer

·
Super Moderator
4,816 Posts
Do you guys have "hammerite, cure-rust" available to you? It's a rust convertor that I've used many times with awesome results. Last time I used it in a high temp application was on a dirt bike exhaust, it worked well and lasted. On the label it's claimed to be a primer so suitable to paint over, worked well for me.

Haven't read the thread properly as I'm scanning through in a hurry so I may be missing an important factor here, just thought I'd chime in quickly anyway!!

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
We don't have Hammerite Kurust over here that I know of...? Its made in the UK with the active ingredient being 1-methoxy-2-propanol (PGME) according to the datasheet. Goober and I are trying out Total Solutions rust converter (active ingredients = Tannic acid, 2-Butoxyethanol) which was recommended by @GirlsRideToo. It worked great on her Recon frame. High-temp exhausts were a question though, until now. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,816 Posts
We don't have Hammerite Kurust over here that I know of...? Its made in the UK with the active ingredient being 1-methoxy-2-propanol (PGME) according to the datasheet. Goober and I are trying out Total Solutions rust converter (active ingredients = Tannic acid, 2-Butoxyethanol) which was recommended by @GirlsRideToo. It worked great on her Recon frame. High-temp exhausts were a question though, until now. :)
You did your research well, kurust is the correct name, you out smarted me on that one haha!!

But listen, if your testing products out I'll gladly ship you a bottle, it's cheap and lasts a LONG time with no shelf life. PM me :)

Just an after thought.. Doesn't Tanic acid attack metals if it's not washed/cleaned off after first application? I could be wrong here, what I've said is what I've always been led to believe.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Yeah, I imagine Tannic acid could eat away on clean steel over time if that was the only active ingredient in the bottle...? It reacts with Iron oxide (rust) to chemically convert those oxides and acid to Iron Tannate, which is a stable metal. That chemical reaction begins immediately and completes in just a few minutes where there is rust present on steel.

But what if there are no Iron oxides present on the steel being treated? Thats why there is a small amount of butoxyethanol in the bottle... that solvent slowly reacts with any unreacted Tannic acid remaining on the steel after several hours of exposure with air, stabilizing it, and dries to a hard, paintable coating. :)

Thanks for offering a bottle of Hammerite! I'll have to pass on your offer though... I'd need to find another project bike (and time for another project) to use it. Maybe next year!

·
Super Moderator
4,816 Posts
Yeah, I imagine Tannic acid could eat away on clean steel over time if that was the only active ingredient in the bottle...? It reacts with Iron oxide (rust) to chemically convert those oxides and acid to Iron Tannate, which is a stable metal. That chemical reaction begins immediately and completes in just a few minutes where there is rust present on steel.

But what if there are no Iron oxides present on the steel being treated? Thats why there is a small amount of butoxyethanol in the bottle... that solvent slowly reacts with any unreacted Tannic acid remaining on the steel after several hours of exposure with air, stabilizing it, and dries to a hard, paintable coating. :)

Thanks for offering a bottle of Hammerite! I'll have to pass on your offer though... I'd need to find another project bike (and time for another project) to use it. Maybe next year!
Very good theory, I can't really reply without doing some research, your years of experience have stopped me in my tracks! Haha :)

PM your postal address again, I'll ship you a bottle anyway, free of charge. I'm sure curiosity will have you testing it out on random pieces of metal, bolts, brackets etc :)

121 - 133 of 133 Posts