Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddys 250R runs great but after about 10 mins or so it just dies like its being starved of fuel. I think it could be a carb problem but not totally sure. If anyone has any ideas it would be very helpfull, we want to get it out for a trail ride with my 250x.
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
After it dies, can you restart it and it'll run for another 10 minutes, or do you need to let it cool down before it'll start again?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Might be a carburetor issue. Start by pulling it apart and giving a good cleaning. If it has been sitting for even 2-4 weeks with gas that has ethanol in it that could be the problem. Ethanol gums up fast.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
When it dies, if it doesn't start back up immediately, pull the sparkplug and see if it's firing. That way you'll know if it's a carb problem or an ignition problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya it starts rite back up after a couple kicks. I dont think its ignition i just replaced the stator and it gets great spark. i have had the carb off and it looks clean and in good working order.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I suggest giving the carb a good cleaning and rebuild. Get a rebuild kit that replaces most all of the componenets (jets, float, gaskets etc). I've owned older TRX's and ATC's and doing this makes a world of difference, you may even notice a better throttle response and more pep in the engine. While your at it- it may help to replace the fuel tubing and then place a small fuel filter between the tank and your fuel petcock to help keep out any particulate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
try cleaning out the air filter. my quad and dirtbike did the same thing and i cleaned the airfilter and it ran great.hope it helps

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok this thing is really starting to get frustrating i have cleaned the carb checked the settings i've checked the whole ignition system everything checks out just fine acording to the manual. its getting lots of fuel and lots of spark but the only way i can get it to fire is to make sure the plug is clean and dry and then is will just fire and die pretty much instantly. Anyone have anymore ideas for me???? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
Check the Kill switch wiring to make sure it's not grounding out

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
its getting lots of fuel and lots of spark but the only way i can get it to fire is to make sure the plug is clean and dry and then is will just fire and die pretty much instantly.
Has it gotten worse? In the original post, you said it would run for about 10 minutes and then quit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It sounds like the power valve is starving the bowl.Check the power valve for grooves and nicks.If you guide your fingernail across the outside of the powervalve and it hangs up on any grooves or scratches replace it.If none,check the powervalve bore in the carb.this is harder to check out because it's so hard to see in it.Sometimes calcium like buildups occur inside the small crevices and bores of carbs.I use clr overnight on older carbs.Sometimes the old can of carb cleaner isn't good enough.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Ya it's gotten worse. Where is the power valve to check it?
I could be wrong, but I don't think the '86 250R ATV had a power valve. I don't think they came out until later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had 100% success on carb rebuilds by performing the following to clean them... remove the carb from the bike, completely dismantle it and submerge all the parts in cleaning solvent and let sit overnight. Then use pipe cleaners to get all of the nooks, cranies, and tunnels, and then use compressor air to blow it all out, and reassemble using new rebuild parts. The cleaning solvent i'm refering to can be found at an auto parts store in a 1 gallon can and it comes with an internal basket for soaking parts in.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
agree ^^^^..but i never use the soaking method..a good carb rebuild kit..some carb cleaner in a spray can ( gum out )..and a air compresser works wonders !..also..check your carb to cylinder intake boot for cracks/leaks...also check your float needle..see if it's letting the bowl fill up with gas. ( i think this is what someone refered to as the power valve ?..this is called the float needle.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
i think this is what someone refered to as the power valve ?..this is called the float needle.
Yeah, that must have been what he meant. I didn't catch that. LOL. That's what he meant though, because he said it sounds like it's starving the bowl.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
i think this is what someone refered to as the power valve ?..this is called the float needle.
Yeah, that must have been what he meant. I didn't catch that. LOL. That's what he meant though, because he said it sounds like it's starving the bowl.
thats the only thing i could think of helmut !..lol.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
thats the only thing i could think of helmut !..lol.
At first, I thought he was talking about a power valve that came out on 2-strokes later. I must have missed the part about the carb bowl when I read it the first time, because the power valve don't go in the carb. LOL. He had to be talking about the float valve and accidentally called it a power valve.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts