Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time project I have going. I am trying to get my quad up and running with an aftermarket carb. I am having a hard time with making sure I have the choke operating correctly. What is the proper way to set it up and adjust it? Also how do you adjust the air/fuel jet being its on the bottom of the carb right next to the cylinder jugs and exhaust none the less about 3 inches above the crank case. I hope to use my original carb again at some point but as of now it is not in good shape. Thanks for the input!

- Arcticcat340

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
How to adjust the choke on a after market carb to get it running ? By putting the OEM carb back on and throwing the after market carb in the garbage !

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I just rebuilt the original carb on a 1985 250 a few months ago. On a scale of 1-10 for difficulty, it was a 2. The most difficult part was removing the old choke valve that was seized in. Heat took care of that. I never considered purchasing an aftermarket carb, cause rebuild kits are available and it is a straightforward operation. I would recommend the same for you. The one I rebuild sat with gas in it for at least 10 years.... It was horribly gunked up.

You said that your original was in bad shape. How bad? Lots of guys here to coach you through rebuilding it. And rebuild kits are available just about everywhere for the 250.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
I bought a few after market carbs along the way , I had lucky with a couple of them , and a lot of wasted time with others that never did perform right , one problem is most of those carbs are generic and made to fit several applications , jetting might not be right for your bike , I am running a ENSTD after market carb on one of my 300 , it has been no problem , I recently looked for them for someone else and couldn't find them any more , it wasn't a cheapie like e-bay $30 carbs , it was $90 but it is exactly the same

the fuel enrichener plunger ( choke ) is adjusted on the headlight switch assembly , there is a E-clip at the cable where it goes into the assembly , you can remove the clip and there are like 3 maybe 4 slots it can be slide into making the cable longer or shorter ----I doubt an adjustment is going to get it right for you

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Where did you purchase your rebuild kit? I think I have most of the parts for my original but I'm not sure. After looking at a rebuild kit it looks like I'm missing an o-ring that is supposed to go around the choke? That could explain a lot of issues!

Would this be a good rebuild kit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Honda...1930732042?fits=Make:Honda|Model:FourTrax+250
Can't say anything about the specific kit, but the seller is G&H. They're a reputable shop. I'd not hesitate to go with that one.

I got mine from rmatvmc

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
That o ring you mentioned is part of the choke kit , and usually don't come in the carb kit , the 250A I find is bad about leaking gas pass the float valve needle , the tip of the valve is usually rubber , it gets gummy and will either stick and not let fuel though or stick and flood the cylinder , I have had a few of those 250A's and they are pretty much bullet proof except for the carb , when you park it for extended periods I think if you were to close the petcock and run the engine till all the fuel is gone , I think you would be better off , and stay away from the corn fuel if possible

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That o ring you mentioned is part of the choke kit , and usually don't come in the carb kit , the 250A I find is bad about leaking gas pass the float valve needle , the tip of the valve is usually rubber , it gets gummy and will either stick and not let fuel though or stick and flood the cylinder , I have had a few of those 250A's and they are pretty much bullet proof except for the carb , when you park it for extended periods I think if you were to close the petcock and run the engine till all the fuel is gone , I think you would be better off , and stay away from the corn fuel if possible
The rebuild kit I attached above included a choke kit also which is why I chose that one. I haven't ordered it yet but it says its for a 1985. Will that cause a problem since I have an 86. I know they are the same style quad

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
The rebuild kit I attached above included a choke kit also which is why I chose that one. I haven't ordered it yet but it says its for a 1985. Will that cause a problem since I have an 86. I know they are the same style quad
The 85 TRX250 carb is different from the 86 & 87 carb, so the 85 kits won't interchange with the later carbs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 85 TRX250 carb is different from the 86 & 87 carb, so the 85 kits won't interchange with the later carbs.
Do you know the difference between carbs? The guy I bought it from had several of the trx250 fourtrax and was getting rid of them. I bought the last one he had and it had the aftermarket carb and the original carb i have was in a big tote of bolts and misc parts.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
The main carb bodies are different between the early & late carbs. Some gaskets won't interchange... there might be other parts that are different too, dunno...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I don't see the top cover in your photo. Was that carb apart when you got the bike?

Honestly, I don't know what you have there, whether it is complete or not, or whether its a 250 carb or not. As far as those kits you linked, those are china knockoffs so the soft rubber gaskets and 0-rings might work but the float valve and all of the brass parts are useless garbage. You'd be better off just cleaning up the carb you have, no money invested...

Hang on a bit if ya can.... gotta look around for you a bit more... be back in a coupla'

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't see the top cover in your photo. Was that carb apart when you got the bike?

Honestly, I don't know what you have there, whether it is complete or not, or whether its a 250 carb or not. As far as those kits you linked, those are china knockoffs so the soft rubber gaskets and 0-rings might work but the float valve and all of the brass parts are useless garbage. You'd be better off just cleaning up the carb you have, no money invested...

Hang on a bit if ya can.... gotta look around for you a bit more... be back in a coupla'
Oh ya I have the top cover, its around here somewhere. It was together but I cleaned it up a while ago and then life had other plans for me and I'm back here now. I for sure need a choke kit and gaskets/o-rings

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
The service manual shows only one carb model for all bikes thru 87, model QA04A. But the parts fiche shows a carb for the 85 and a different carb part number for the 86-87. Some of the individual parts have differing part numbers between those two carbs too. Searching for used carbs I found the same thing... two different carbs were used on those bikes and the 85 appears to be one of a kind. Will those two carbs swap out...? Probably. But I'm not making that call...

Links:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_TKSTsdx3KNNWVFVzdhQmNvVUU
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1985/trx250-a-fourtrax-250/carburetor
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1986/trx250-a-fourtrax-250/carburetor
powersportsnation - Search Results for "+honda +fourtrax +250 +carburetor"

Maybe you can scrounge through those links and decide if your carb is complete or not and which kit to order.

EDIT:
Beware of all cheap china kits, they're all garbage. Sometimes all of the gaskets and 0-rings fit, but rest has to be thrown in the trash.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I don't know why, but the 1985 Trx250A carb stood alone , maybe simple as the jets were different maybe something else
I knew i should have kept that 85 trx250...... :|

Reactions: retro

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to give you all an update I won't be able to study that carb tonight I worked all day and have class all night but will hopefully be able to look at it tomorrow night

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe I read something about shindy being a good carb repair kit. Can anyone confirm this?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts