Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I picked up an 86 TRX 200SX from a friend for $350 this past month. Runs fantastic, so no motor worries. Talk about a fun toy, it's my first!!

So far I've gotten her a new air cleaner element, a new pull handle, changed the oil (whoa, was that overdue)-cleaned the engine, etc. etc.

Most of what I'll be looking for...are body parts. And wow, I've found out that those are super hard to find.... :frown:

I'd like to do some sort of an upgrade to the tail light since I cannot find the hardware to fix the original one. What have you done? I'd love some ideas, I really don't know where to start.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Dezi' , the 200SX is a fun bike to ride , and like the energizer bunny , only problems I ever had was keeping the chain tight ------- when you are tach'ed at the top of 4th gear and shift into 5th , that is as far as I wanted to go , that bike must do right at 55 mph ------- there is very little after market things for it , the bike is kinda rare as you don't see them pop up much , some parts are unique and hard to find -------- it is a shame you don't live close , I have a lot of parts for that bike but not into shipping ---------------- I like that engine so much that I started a project which I have yet to finish , putting a 200Sx engine that was bored .030 over , re-jeted carb and pipe , that was running great on the bike , into a Tomberlyn 150 2 seater mini buggy with a jack shaft to get 4.56 ratio , it should be insane , the trails by me are narrow and would make riding it very limited , so it went on the back burner ----------- one day a Bobcat , help and some chainsaws will show up and SX Buggy might get finished

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fishfiles, I'm having a blast with this!

Wow, your project sounds crazy!!! And hey, maybe in time I can talk you into shipping! :laugh:

This is my first quad. PERFECT for putting around here in the desert...I have open desert all around me...so there's no shortage of places to ride.

I finally found a place here locally that must carry every nut and bolt ever thought of...and I was able to get everything I needed to fix the tail light, and it cost me a whole $2.00!! Made my day! My factory taillight is now mounted...and working.

This bike runs like a top! Changed the oil (and I am truly wondering if I'm the fist person who ever bothered to...holy crap it was nasty)

Since I'm still a newbie, no hot-dog riding for me yet...just taking it slow and enjoying myself...I've wanted one of these for years-and for $350-I couldn't turn it down. I already know that I'll NEVER sell it!

Rear plastics are absolutely shot. Front are awesome...I'll probably get the aftermarket fenders...because I'll never be able to get front and back color to match. I'm thinking of going with white. I've been haunting eBay for parts...man...are those rear mud guards (and other parts) hard to come by...beginning to wonder if I'll ever find everything I need.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
You might consider another oil change soon because the detergents and cleansers in your new oil has probably loosened up some sludge.

Also note Item 4 below, the oil screen:

1986 Honda TRX200SX A CRANKCASE | Cheap Cycle Parts

It needs to be cleaned. After 30 years, my guess is that it is loaded up with old clutch friction disk material and has likely never been touched.

Also note Item 2 below, the oil filter:

1986 Honda TRX200SX A CLUTCH | Cheap Cycle Parts

Your bike uses a centrifugal oil filter "slinger" that accumulates sludge up against the clutch housing. It'll also likely be loaded up with sludge and has probably never been cleaned.

And of course, only use an oil that is JASO MA rated for wet clutch engines. Anything else is too slippery and will permanently damage the friction disks in your clutch pack.

Rick

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You might consider another oil change soon because the detergents and cleansers in your new oil has probably loosened up some sludge.

Also note Item 4 below, the oil screen:

1986 Honda TRX200SX A CRANKCASE | Cheap Cycle Parts

It needs to be cleaned. After 30 years, my guess is that it is loaded up with old clutch friction disk material and has likely never been touched.

Also note Item 2 below, the oil filter:

1986 Honda TRX200SX A CLUTCH | Cheap Cycle Parts

Your bike uses a centrifugal oil filter "slinger" that accumulates sludge up against the clutch housing. It'll also likely be loaded up with sludge and has probably never been cleaned.

And of course, only use an oil that is JASO MA rated for wet clutch engines. Anything else is too slippery and will permanently damage the friction disks in your clutch pack.

Rick
Thanks for the info Rick, very much appreciated!!! What weight would you suggest...I've read several different recommendations. I used Motul brand oil when I changed it. It says "MA" on the label.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
For summertime operation, I run a 10W-40 Shell Rotella "Triple T" standard conventional oil - the same but 10W-30 in the winter. If I run a synthetic, it would also be Shell Rotella "T6". Both of these are JASO MA rated for wet clutch engines and have at least a little ZDDP anti wear agent. And they are relatively inexpensive and widely available.

Rick

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Dezi' , the 200SX is a fun bike to ride , and like the energizer bunny , only problems I ever had was keeping the chain tight ------- when you are tach'ed at the top of 4th gear and shift into 5th , that is as far as I wanted to go , that bike must do right at 55 mph ------- there is very little after market things for it , the bike is kinda rare as you don't see them pop up much , some parts are unique and hard to find -------- it is a shame you don't live close , I have a lot of parts for that bike but not into shipping ---------------- I like that engine so much that I started a project which I have yet to finish , putting a 200Sx engine that was bored .030 over , re-jeted carb and pipe , that was running great on the bike , into a Tomberlyn 150 2 seater mini buggy with a jack shaft to get 4.56 ratio , it should be insane , the trails by me are narrow and would make riding it very limited , so it went on the back burner ----------- one day a Bobcat , help and some chainsaws will show up and SX Buggy might get finished
I Put a Mantis Tiller engine and bottom end on a Barbie Jeep for my daughters many years ago. It held up well. It's stored waiting on grand kids.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
MrC, I love projects like that ------ Hey , I can't post pics , keeps giving me an error code "pic not a file name " , have tried about 10 times , have you posted a pic lately ??

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips!!

OK, so I found a gasket for the crankcase. It'll probably take a week to get here...so I'm thinking if I put 15-20 miles on it before changing the oil again, the goop that's probably stuck in there will be loosened up..and then I can clean it really well.

A question about oil weight...I live in the Mojave Desert...that said...it gets very hot here in the summer...should I still go with those recommendations? I should have mentioned that in the first place!

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
The thicker, heavier the better in those conditions. I'm at Edwards AFB quite often so I know how hot, windy and dusty that the Mojave can get.

Rick

·
Registered
264 Posts
The owners manual says 10W40 would be ok or you could go 20W40 or even 20W50. I think if you're going to be in very hot conditions most of the time I'd go with 20W50.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thicker, heavier the better in those conditions. I'm at Edwards AFB quite often so I know how hot, windy and dusty that the Mojave can get.

Rick
I passed by Edwards a few weeks ago...but it wasn't hot-it's been friggin' cold out here!

Glad to see the summer temps on the way...makes for great evening riding! Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it! For the first change I used Motul SAE20W50.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The owners manual says 10W40 would be ok or you could go 20W40 or even 20W50. I think if you're going to be in very hot conditions most of the time I'd go with 20W50.

Thanks for the chart WIRedRider, much appreciated. Yep, I'm going to go with 20W50 for the second change too-we should be hitting 110F soon. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
DezertRatt
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing