Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just got a 86 trx200sx, there is a small amount of blue smoke when riding, went for a 30 min rip with no drop on oil. There is also what seems to be an oil leak from what I think is the cam cover. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is the smoke coming from out the exhaust or from the oil leak? If the exhaust, then it could be bad piston rings or valves. Report back and we can further help you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would try and do a compression test, or better a leak down test. It will let you know if you piston rings are in good shape, assuming your valve seat well. If they check out okay, then it's most likely your valve seals.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh wow that’s crazy low, I’m surprised it runs! Must be down on power. Did you hold the throttle wide open when doing the test?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep throttle wide open, its my first quad so I wasn't sure how it should feel power wise, I knew something was up when I got destroyed by a mini bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would you recommend just a top end or a full rebuild? I know the previous owners ran it low on oil. There is also a cheap running used engine near me. Thoughts on what I should do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts