Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started machine up with no battery and daughter took for a ride and it just died. Put cables on to start and I can't even get the dash lights to come on. Getting power to the solenoid. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Nost of these machines need a battery in them to accept the charge. Could of blew a stator or something. not really sure but I have a motorcycle and I rode it up the rode with no battery and the lights blew out on it. My father told me it was because I had no battery. Could be it

·
Registered
72 Posts
-check for a spark
-check for compression
-check that it's getting fuel to the cylynder
-check to see if your getting air in there also

-check all the basics then trouble shoot further if needed
good luck and let us know what you find

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Get a battery in it and check all the fuses..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Started machine up with no battery and daughter took for a ride and it just died. Put cables on to start and I can't even get the dash lights to come on. Getting power to the solenoid. Any ideas?
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? If so I'd like to know just for future refrence. And if not? We can help you more if you let us know what it is or isn't doing now?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Bad regulator... would be my guess.

What kind of TRX is it???? you need to give more info if you want a better diagnisis besides if it's like mine I have all the electrical test procedures you need.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As a crazy question? After it quit and you have a chance to check it out, did you see any burnt area on the positive cable end like it went to ground? As TRX2five0 said, it could have toasted the regulator? I hope not. That would SUCK big time.

I assume the positive and negative cables were both hanging loose, and the positive cable hit a ground causing the engine to quit. If this is the case? Check the big main fuse (usually 40 or 50 amps) to see if this blew. Also check to see if there is a fuseable link on the positive cable? I doubt there is, but it might be there and didn't want you to bypass this if it is there.

Providing your TRX does have a fuse panel? I thought checking the fuses out first would rule out any of the obvious before getting into the wiring and it's components.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like I am back in business. Checking fuses and wires I unplugged a couple of connectors and plugged back in and now I have power. I believe the connector after the solenoid vibrated loose. Tightened back up and I am happy camper again until next issue. Thanks for all the help and ideas from all of you guys.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it going!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts