Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I have an '86 TRX 250 Fourtrax and I've had it for a few years now. I'm always working on it, adding parts, replacing old parts with better parts, servicing it, fixing broken parts and what not. Since I first got it I have always wanted to replace the stock suspension for something better but I always get sidetracked or am low on funds. Now, I want to get better suspension for it. I do a lot of jumping and wheelies on my ATV too, so some good suspension would be nice. I also want to figure out how to lift it a couple of inches as I want to put new, bigger and more aggressive tires on it and wheel spacers too. So that being said, how would I lift it say 6 inches - 1 foot. I'd buy a lift kit but I can't seem to find one for it. Also, what do you recommend for new suspension? I want something that will go on easily because I have no welder or torches anymore as my grandfather sold his and I'm 15. Any info, pictures, suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Storm

P.S. Probably going to a parts store tonight so I'm reposting the same thing as earlier in a different place to hopefully get quicker response.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
As far as I'm aware a lift of that size would be a big job and wouldn't be the cheapest option. You can buy a 2" lift from highlifter for about $30 I believe, wheel spacers are also readily available from most online quad spares shops etc.
I do know that 300ex shocks will fit a 300fw and also give a lift as well, they may fit a 250 but don't hold me to that.
In my honest opinion a lift of 6 to 12 inches would be to much, cost to much and would most certainly require some form of fabrication/welding. You would also need to extend the swing arm and have a new rear drive shaft made for a lift of that size, then there's a gear reduction to take into consideration to run larger tyres.

I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable guys will be along to add to this at some point and may be able to give you some more accurate advice.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Also, GET some MX body armour/chest protector if your doing wheelies! Your young, it's fun, I understand, I've been there! TRUST ME though, when (and you will) you fall off the back and that quad lands on you it really does hurt!

Stay safe and enjoy :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.