Honda ATV Forum banner

86 trx 250 four trax rear brake drum removal help...

12K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  shadetree 
Cant get item "2" from the diagram below off the axel. (The Drum) Tried brass hammer. pry bar. wd-40. brake cleaner. even scrubbing the axel teeth with gas the minimize resistance. Am I missing something? I the breaks are not engaged. It should just pull off if its like a car at all lol.... I dont have the book yet. ordered it the other day. Restoring this machine for a buddie. already drained flushed filled the engine oil and rear gear lube. cleaned the carb took off all plastics and tank. tank is all varnished inside. gott it running good and threw all its gears even reverse (it didnt even spark when i got ahold of it) now i need these brakes to do a little road test lol. Anyone know how to get the drum off or know what im doing wrong. Thanks... :icon_question:

REAR BRAKE PANEL - 1986 Honda TRX250 FOURTRAX
after going back to re-read this post..lol..if your trying to remove the brake drum ..not the cover !..lol..that drum is probally stuck to the shoes..and it can be a pain to remove..i don't remember if those bikes had a 0-ring on the alxe..right where that brake drum is ??..but it it does..that drum won't come off until that 0-ring is off. either way..take a punch..and go through the center holes of the brake drum..and knock the brake shoes back in towards the inside..do this all the way around..what your trying to do here is push the shoes in off the brake drum..this is what you need to do in order to get the drum off.

Sometimes that big ring that goes around the inside edge of the brake drum will get dirt up under it and it will stick out and catch on the back of the brake shoes. The ring I'm talking about is #3 on your diagram that you linked to.

Also, I would take the brake lever (#10) off. That way, when you pry on the drum, you may be able to pull brake shoes and all off with the brake drum. If you pull the brake lever off, the cam pin will be able to pull through with the brake shoes, too.
i didn't even think about the drum linning ring helmut..good call..also...good call on removing the brake lever arm off and removing the whole thing as a unit..i can almost bet his drum is so wore down..that his brake drum is hanging on the shoes.

The pads move freely inside with a screw driver. no grooving from what i can tell. It looks like on the axel the teeth are part of the drum. this is after tons of cleaning and brushing. is it possibly siezed on there?? and if so how would i get it off without damaging anything?
well..you can try using some wd-40..let it soak for awhile..or..if you had a torch..you could heat the axle splines right near the brake drum and axle..buttttt..you might just burn your bearings on the inside of the backing plate !..sooo..be careful..try not to heat it for very long if you go the torch way..i always just keep soaking whatever is stuck and working it with a little pressure on both sides of the drum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.