Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new to the site from New Mexico. I recently picked up an 89 350 from a person who said that it just needs the cdi replaced to the original one. He had a Japanese one on there to show me that it started. The four wheeler runs nice as long as you kept on the throttle but would not idle once you let off of the throttle. So I figured maybe needs a carburetor clean also. Anyways long story short bought four wheeler for 300 get home to see that a lot of the wiring was spliced or not connected. Get on eBay to by a new wiring harness that is supposedly for an 86-89 got it in today and the connection for cdi looks different that's about all I looked at right now. So before I go looking at all the connections is it possible to switch harnesses? My four wheeler has the grey plastic around the lights and ignition this harness has black plastics around the lights and ignition don't know if that makes a difference between years?

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
only harness from 1987 to 1989 will fit on your year, 1986 will NOT work !. to make it easy, I would find a harness for a 1989, reason: even from 1987 to 1989, Honda added, or changed the harness through those years, sooooo..get a harness for a 1989 !.

Reactions: retro

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
and welcome to the forums.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
oh, and all Honda's from the factory have a jap c.d.i. on them !, what you don't want is a china c.d.i. on it !.

Reactions: retro

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah forgot about that it is a Honda! Haha is China the ones that make Baja? Because that's what I believe he got it off of.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Yeah forgot about that it is a Honda! Haha is China the ones that make Baja? Because that's what I believe he got it off of.
yep, baja is china..crap !..lol.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Thanks shadetree! Any advice on where else I could look most of the ones on eBay all say 86-89.
other than my buds bone yard ?, ebay is your best bet. but, they also have no clue as to what they are trying to sell ?, or..they do know !, and don't care how they make a buck ?!..lmao. I know for a fact, the 1986 model is a breed of its own !, not much will swap out to or from a 1986 model. most parts from 1987 to 1989 ( later years if from Canada ? ) ( but even those are listed as 1989 from Honda ! ), no model from Honda on these was ever produced after 1989 state side ?, that is why when and if your in Canada ?, and you go to get parts for any of these after 1989 ?, they will tell you no such thing !.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
By chance do you know if this harness came off of an 87 or 86 I believe the second picture is the cdi? It says shindengen and has cf313 on back. Thanks for the info guess I'll look around more and look more into detail not to get 86 parts.
sorry, looking at pics on here won't tell me what harness you have ?. that c.d.i. name sounds like a jap c.d.i. , not 100% sure ?, even baja brand ( china ) used that name on their junk..lol.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Shindengen was an OEM Honda CDI supplier. My 87 350D has a factory original Shindengen DC-CDI.

A used wiring harness for your '89 TRX350D MUST come off from a '88 or '89 TRX350D, no exceptions! If you want all of the reasons why no other harnesses will fit, just ask... I'll write you a novel... :)

Also, a used DC-CDI for your '89 TRX350D MUST come off from a '88 or '89 TRX350D, no exceptions!

You may be able to find used wiring harnesses and used CDIs on powersportsnation as well as eBay. PSN will probably be a more reliable source than fLeebay...

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I just looked at your photos... that "Shindengen" CDI is fake. Its a china made knockoff. Its garbage.

OEM CDIs for the 86-89 TRX350s are marked with labels only.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Congrats on becoming an early Foreman owner; I am a huge fan. Download the manual from the link below or better yet buy the printed service manual.
The different cables are described by their different wire colors as illustrated in wiring diagrams. Good job noticing the patch jobs. Don't throw away anything yet and don't regret making those cable purchases in error. Even little mistakes are valuable lessons.
Use the service manual if it runs just try properly setting the idle

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Btw that pic was hard to see--that skinny component looks like a fuel cutoff relay, not the CDI.
Be very methodical about getting this thing to run. Likely to be several things needing repair on this 30 year old; we'll be here to encourage and help you!!

Edit there are four service manuals for your model on ebay

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Btw that pic was hard to see--that skinny component looks like a fuel cutoff relay, not the CDI.
Be very methodical about getting this thing to run. Likely to be several things needing repair on this 30 year old; we'll be here to encourage and help you!!

Edit there are four service manuals for your model on ebay
I thought the same thing as you when I seen the c.d.i. ?, I too thought that looked like the fuel cut-off relay ?..but !!!!..IT'S NOT !, the fuel cut off relay only has one connection to plug in ?, that shows two made into it.

Reactions: Goober

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the info! Yeah it's running but is missing the second smaller connection going into the cdi which I think comes from the kill switch which is also missing. So just trying to get all the proper connections put back on and wired properly so I don't have to worry about water getting on the wires. He did show me the original cdi he took off which was wider then this shindengen one so I thought the same thing at first about it not being the cdi but those two connections make me think that it is a cdi. Once I get more time to work on it I'll post pictures. Definitely not giving up on it anytime soon!

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
@Mendoza505 can you post another pic of that CDI? Take the pic by holding your iPhone sideways (long sides parallel to ground).
Shindengen is the OEM name; I have a new spare OEM CDI; I'll post a pic of it for you (sorry not for sale it's a spare for my work rigs. I'm curious to know what the knockoff looks like.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
its deff a china knock-off..lol. most oem c.d.i's for Honda have white connectors, not red. baja uses red..lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts