Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
86 Honda 350 fourtrax will die when shit into gear. Restarts fine then it dies several times and then it goes. I have tried shifting up and down before restarting it and it helps ? but not sure it it is the cure or just coincidental. Might just be somethig else that falls into place. Also just dies when riding it and then it restarts and goes like nothing happened. Adjusted the clutch as in the manual, but it idd not fix the problem
Pete

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
Download the service manual from the link in my signature block below—perform the ignition diagnostics.

when you switch on, you should get a steady neutral light and the oil light should come on momentarily and then go out.
Might be the CDI—try this:
get some contact cleaner, plumbers flux brushes and permatex dielectric grease. inspect for cracks and clean the contacts, apply a thin film of grease afterward. See if that helps.

if not, remove the CDI and bake in oven to try and revive it. No more than 200F for at least 3 hours. Let cool completely before you reinstall

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Download the service manual from the link in my signature block below—perform the ignition diagnostics.

when you switch on, you should get a steady neutral light and the oil light should come on momentarily and then go out.
Might be the CDI—try this:
get some contact cleaner, plumbers flux brushes and permatex dielectric grease. inspect for cracks and clean the contacts, apply a thin film of grease afterward. See if that helps.

if not, remove the CDI and bake in oven to try and revive it. No more than 200F for at least 3 hours. Let cool completely before you reinstall
lights come on just as you say. Would that be true if it runs fine most of the time?

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
The CDI is attached to the front top frame crossbar and accessed by removing the right inner fender.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
bad c.d.i. is my guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts