Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got 1986 Honda Trx 200sx that I just bought for 400... when I put the key in and turn it the neutral light does Not turn on. When I start to pull the light will start coming on slightly then after I keep pulling it’ll start up and the neutral light will be on then I can go on about driving it like nothing. I’d like to diagnose it and fix it so that it will start with just the push of a button

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
You’ll need an owner and service manual but if this has a battery you likely need a battery.

check out the service manuals and parts links in my signature block below

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
like goober said ^^^..DO NOT RUN IT WITHOUT A GOOD , FULLY CHARGED BATTERY !!. you run the risk of burning the stator out, or worse, any part of the electrical system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think that it’s a bad battery all together or do you think it could be something pulling off my battery with it off cause the battery to die every time? Cause once I do finally get it started with the pull (after pulling 30 damn times) it starts and runs and if I shut it off it starts right back up with one pull easily. However, even if it will start up with one pull easily, the button for electric start doesn’t do anything at all

·
Premium Member
12,631 Posts
Do you think that it’s a bad battery all together or do you think it could be something pulling off my battery with it off cause the battery to die every time? Cause once I do finally get it started with the pull (after pulling 30 damn times) it starts and runs and if I shut it off it starts right back up with one pull easily. However, even if it will start up with one pull easily, the button for electric start doesn’t do anything at all
like goober said ^^^..DO NOT RUN IT WITHOUT A GOOD , FULLY CHARGED BATTERY !!. you run the risk of burning the stator out, or worse, any part of the electrical system.

·
Premium Member
12,631 Posts
Wow , don't have a clue what I done on the previous post , it freaked out

Sure sounds like a dead battery that has no reserve capability left in it , if you don't have a load tester then take it out and have it tested ---- the bike will produce voltage once it is cranked up , so after running a bit voltage is stored in the battery and it can crank up , but if after a short time the battery is dead again , then the battery is mostly bad ------if you are worried it might be a draw on your battery , then hook a meter between the positive post and the cable after the cable is disconnected , you will see if voltage is being drawn , if it is then disconnect one plug at a time till the meter goes limp and that would be the curcuit that the draw is coming from

I had a couple of 200SXs , fun little bikes , fast and nimble , still have a lot of parts for them , but I don't ship , have a project going to put a 200sx engine in a club car electric cart , it should be fun

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I will check it this weekend and most likely just grab a battery for it I’ll let you know how it goes after but thank you very much

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Just a heads up.... Don't cheap out on the battery, buy a good known brand..

I know it's more money and I know you don't want to spend a lot, hell none of us do, but the cheaper end of the scale 9 times out of 10 usually turn out to be junk from new.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with sam. I replaced the battery on my 99 300 with a cheap Walmart battery it lasted 94 days on a 90 day warranty. they wouldn't even talk about replacing it. I went with a Yuasa battery and it been going strong now for over 2 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts