Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Did you download the service manual?
The lever works the rear brake and reverse function

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have the service manual and under the brakes section I only saw stuff for the front brakes. Those were locked up when I got the quad and had to crack the bleeder screws to get it to somewhat roll. Or at least be able to be towed by the riding lawn mower. I need to find a parts breakdown for that back right wheel brake and reverse assembly. The PO took it apart and I am not sure I have all the nuts and bolts to put it back together again. It should be interesting. I started plastic welding the plastic covers back together. This thing has more cracks then it has solid plastic. So far it has not been too hard. I am more looking to get it back together and solid and then I may sand it and clean it up. Once I get all of one side done on the front piece that I have been working on and it is solid enough to turn over and not snap in half I will turn it over and weld the back together. Kind of reminds me of that old Johnny Cash song about the Cadillac. How he did it one piece at a time. Yesterday I picked up a trailer that is big enough for a quad or riding lawn mower. Once this is done I will be able to take it out and play on the back roads near my Brother in Law's place. Lots of old logging trails out there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
for the reverse? does it have to have that lever engaged so that you can physically shift into reverse?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Today I worked on welding plastic back together. I got the headlight housing done and about half of the plastic for the front piece. It looks like freddy krugar but it is solid once again. I also just got the kill switch working again. The black and white wire for it was broken off in the switch. I did a continuity check on it and it is good to go. I also realized that the cable for the choke is missing. I also found a ignition that will be here much sooner. I am well on my way to having spark. then comes fuel. and taking out the old cobbled in splices to the electrical system that are not supposed to be there. and after it is all done lots of time with wire loom and electrical tape putting the wiring harness back together. I am sure at some point I will have to clean and adjust the carb on it as well and rewire back in the fuel pump. so, piece of cake.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Have you checked my parts links in my signature block?
You can see what’s missing by scrolling through the Illustrated Parts Diagrams, get the part number, and then search for that part number on fleabay. Caution not every seller knows the correct part number or application—often a part is listed that doesn’t match what you’re looking for.
but eventually you start to see what it should look like.
here’s what mine looked like for months

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I just got the ignition in the mail and installed it. I then started tracing grounds down and found that the PO had hard wired a blue/black wire that goes into the wiring harness and heads to the back of the quad. I have not found what that goes to yet. I think it may be to the fuel pump. Not sure yet. I still do not have any kind of signal going to the ignition coil. I think my next step is to replace the CDI unit. If I am right I should be able to see a light if I hook a test light to the black/yellow line coming from the CDI. although it also goes to the fuel pump relay. I may have to look at that as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
ok. I disconnected the wired black/blue line that was wired into the quad's ground. I connected this directly to the fuel pump like the wiring diagram says. The other side of the fuel pump is supposed to go to the ground side of the wiring harness. I will have to wire that in and then clean it all up. Then test it all to make sure it works. After that I will also have to test the resistance of the ignition coil and see if that is good. I have a ground on that and a black/yellow line and then the line to the spark plug. Not sure what the resistance checks are supposed to be on those yet.

·
Super Moderator
38,073 Posts
blue/black wire is power to fuel pump. but !!, it will not work if the fuel cut-off relay is bad ?. this wire is on right side of frame/air box, should be blue/black, green sticking off the wire harness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
blue/black wire is power to fuel pump. but !!, it will not work if the fuel cut-off relay is bad ?. this wire is on right side of frame/air box, should be blue/black, green sticking off the wire harness.
I figured out what the wiring was supposed to be for the fuel pump circuit. I have no idea if the fuel cut out relay is good yet. Right now I am still trying to get spark to the plug. I think that means my cdi unit is bad. I will have to get another one and see if after that I have a good ignition coil. It is slowly coming together. I am also pretty sure my fuel pump is bad. I put 12 volts on it and it does not do anything. I am assuming that this is a bad sign. I am also curious as to which is the positive side of it. I have a black wire and a black and white wire on the pump.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
good to hear you making progress

Those wire colors don’t sound right—did you buy an OEM pump?

there is a fuel flow test in the manual that in part tests the relay

·
Super Moderator
38,073 Posts
I figured out what the wiring was supposed to be for the fuel pump circuit. I have no idea if the fuel cut out relay is good yet. Right now I am still trying to get spark to the plug. I think that means my cdi unit is bad. I will have to get another one and see if after that I have a good ignition coil. It is slowly coming together. I am also pretty sure my fuel pump is bad. I put 12 volts on it and it does not do anything. I am assuming that this is a bad sign. I am also curious as to which is the positive side of it. I have a black wire and a black and white wire on the pump.
oem pump wire colors are blue for power, green for ground. either someone wired that pump up wrong ?, or..its not an oem pump ?. no spark, bad c.d.i. ?.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts