Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I am new to ATV's and this forum but i hav done some resarch on my problem. I have no spark but luckily i have a go kart that shares alot of the same parts. i have ruled out the coil/plug, cdi and regulator rectifier so that only leaves the stator and pulse generator. I have ohmed out the stator and i have resistance on both lugs but on the female plug i do not get resistance from the spade this is facing up and down not side to side (green wire I believe) my question is can I use a staor from a 250r of the same year? they look identical but have the 250r has a triangular backing plate that looks removable any help would be appreciatied.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
welcome to the forums. you can't use any other stator from anything other what your year and make is !. reason: stators on trx250's such as yours ?, the stator is matched to the flywheel !. in other words, if you use another stator from, say the same make ?, you would need to use the flywheel as well !. they are a matched pair. you can't just go tossing parts at this model atv.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes. I sense to me. If they are matched then why would they sell stator and fly wheel seperatly? All the posts I've read have said nothing about having to replace both of the stator has gone bad. I know the flywheel is balanced but the stator is stationary

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
i'm talking about for trx250 years only, not after market. you can't take one stator from a 1987, and stick it in a 1988, as the 1988 may or may not be a matched pair for the stator and flywheel. of course you can buy stators separate !, but you can't use older parts from one to the other, as they are matched to that year, make model. when they make after market stators ?, they make that stator for that year, it has to be made for that year and model.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
if ya did a search on here ?, you may have found this topic was mentioned long ago, and one person ordered the wrong stator from a different year for his trx250, and it would not work !. it has to be for that year, make, and model.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Well I did look and did not see that. I see what you are saying now.
great :). either order a new stator from ebay for THAT YEAR, THAT MAKE, THAT MODEL ?, or..look around at some salvage yards, and see if you can locate a stator from there ?..again..it has to be for that year,make, model !. :).

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
As shade said get one for that year, make and model. Also, count your poles on the stator and make sure the new one has the same. Honda used 2 different companies to supply them with stators.. Poles are different, that's what Shade means by having them match the flywheel....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i have a go kart that uses what looks like an identical cdi box but underneth it looks like there are two???? one looks like a cdi and the other looks the same but much larger i installed my known good cdi and a new coil/plug wire as well as new rectifier. i ohmed out my pulse rectifier per honda shop manual instructions and got .330 ohms. bootom of the range but in range any ideas?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
so i have a go kart that uses what looks like an identical cdi box but underneth it looks like there are two???? one looks like a cdi and the other looks the same but much larger i installed my known good cdi and a new coil/plug wire as well as new rectifier. i ohmed out my pulse rectifier per honda shop manual instructions and got .330 ohms. bootom of the range but in range any ideas?
did you ohm the stator in your atv ?. what was the readings ?.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ohmed out stator but not sure I did it correctly. I ohmed out the white plug at the connectors that are side by side but I believe that was the pulse generator. Do I ohm out the yellow wires in the green plug for the stator?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I ohmed out stator but not sure I did it correctly. I ohmed out the white plug at the connectors that are side by side but I believe that was the pulse generator. Do I ohm out the yellow wires in the green plug for the stator?
with stator unplugged, ( round white connector ), you ohm the yellow wires. leads go to any yellow wire on stator side. I look for numbers around 0.003 to 0.007..if they are higher than those ?, or none at all ?, then your stator is bad. after you test each yellow wire on stator side, you then put red lead in each yellow wire, and black to ground..such as the engine itself. you should not see any numbers ?..if you do ?..then your stator is bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok ohmed out green plug with yellow wires. Both leads of the meter in the wires any combo gave me .001 at meter set at 2k. No numbers with red lead in any of the yellow wires and black on ground. The white plug ohmed out at .313 meter set at 2k between the geen/white and blue/yellow wire. Does that sound right or wrong?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Ok ohmed out green plug with yellow wires. Both leads of the meter in the wires any combo gave me .001 at meter set at 2k. No numbers with red lead in any of the yellow wires and black on ground. The white plug ohmed out at .313 meter set at 2k between the geen/white and blue/yellow wire. Does that sound right or wrong?
stator is bad.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
and before you go tossing in another stator ?..make sure to check your reg/rec !. once that goes out ?, then the stators burn out !!.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts