Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently given an old fourwheeler. old carb was gunked out beyond cleaning. I bought a new oem one. now it idles way too high. I'm not an expert on atv repair. When I first started it up with the new carb on, it idled awesome, then it started to climb revs until it was too scary to leave it running. if i put my hand over the air intake side, it dies, but if i close the choke, it climbs. i can get it to idle normally for a bit, but when it starts to climb revs it wont come back down by itself, i have to partially cover the air intake with my hand and keep it there. on the air intake side, there are two holes i assume are vent holes? if i cover them, it climbs. no idea what to do.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
I doubt that you got an OEM carb for an 86 200sx , it has been obsolete for a long time , there are many after market one that have the same number listed for $25-50 ---------- I think I would check compression , timing and valve adjustment

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it did run before i removed the original carb. it idled fine with the old one, and had issues when giving it any gas, so i opened it up and noticed how gunked it was. tried to look for a rebuild kit and decided to just get a new one. the company i got this carb from claims it is oem for this atv. comparing the two, they look identical. it has good compression, timing should be good. i took the valve cover off before too and it looks great. very clean. almost looks rebuilt. i think i may be burning oil either from bad valve seals or from the piston. how/where would i check for a vacuum leak in carb? i dont get why it revs up so high when i shut the choke all the way.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
It may be worth your time to disassemble and do a thorough cleaning on your original OEM carb and put it back together following the service manual. Betcha it will solve all your carb problems 100%...

Many carb replacements never work right cause they aren't OEM, just useless china junk. No one can help you if you have one of those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts