Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not find an answer to this question in the forum, however my search skills seem to be lacking so if this was already explained, I apologize and would appreciate if someone could point me to the correct post.

My question is around the clutch lever. I think I understand on this model that when the foot shifter is engaged that the clutch goes into neutral before engaging the next gear. There is a lot of good info about how to adjust this to help shifting smooth out. But what does the clutch lever at the handlebar do?

I see one cable that attaches to the reverse lock lever (makes sense)
I see another cable that runs directly to the rear brake drum and then also the plate on top of the lever that you use for a parking brake.

Is this actually a clutch in the normal sense that you pull it in each time you shift? or is this just a rear brake to use in conjunction with the foot pedal brake? (and also to engage reverse)

thanks!

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Your spot on with the clutch, it’s engaged when you lift the gear lever to select a gear. The rear lever is just a parking brake/rear brake, nothing to do with the clutch at all. Simply shift gear and that’s it, no handle bar lever action is required at all. This system is known as ‘semi-automatic’, or at least it is here in the U.K.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SamUK

I appreciate the quick response.

this quad was given to me as a project and the rear brakes were nothing but powder inside the drum. So when i rode it into my garage, i used the clutch like a normal clutch to shift. Imagine my surprise when i was tearing it down and noticed no cable running to the engine for the clutch. good thing there were no rear brakes :)

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Thanks SamUK

I appreciate the quick response.

this quad was given to me as a project and the rear brakes were nothing but powder inside the drum. So when i rode it into my garage, i used the clutch like a normal clutch to shift. Imagine my surprise when i was tearing it down and noticed no cable running to the engine for the clutch. good thing there were no rear brakes :)
lol, yeah, that model does not have a manual clutch lever, no lever what so ever to pull to change gears, all of them, with the exception of sport atvs that have true manual shifting ?, you will never need to worry about pulling the left handle bar lever. all that lever is for, is to operate the rear brake, and to pull the reverse lever cable, thats it !.

Reactions: SamUK

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
yes, that model has two cables, one goes to the rear brakes, and the other smaller cable operates the reverse lever, you will find this reverse lever on the lower right, backside, in and behind the foot rest, behind the metal cover. behind this metal cover is also your reverse lever switch, and your neutral switch, and in the very front of these, is your oil temp switch.

Reactions: SamUK
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.