Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I recently purchased a Honda fourtrax 250 ultility bike. Engine works great one was bearing is great. However I notice when it's cold I hit it into 1st and the tires will spin. Go into second and they try to spin but the engine just isn't grabbing you can rev the piss out of the engine and it won't spin the tires. Go into third same thing. Doesn't bog at all. It's like the clutch isn't engaging. I recently changed the oil with 10w40 motorcycle oil.... Another thing is the shifter sticks down sometimes and doesn't always shift when you pull up. ANY HELP APPRICIATED! Thanks
Jake

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome!
You need specific oil, for wet clutches. Is the motorcycle oil that you used suitable for an ATV with a wet clutch system?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
sounds like your clutch is not adjusted right ?, and for the shifter not coming back up on the foot lever ?, this is a return spring issue.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Welcome!
You need specific oil, for wet clutches. Is the motorcycle oil that you used suitable for an ATV with a wet clutch system?
all motorcycle motor oils is the same oil used in atvs, it's designed for wet clutches, which motorcycles and atvs have. you can not use regular automotive oil in a motorcycle or atv, as it has friction modifiers in it, which will cause the clutches to slip.

Reactions: hodge5

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome!
all motorcycle motor oils is the same oil used in atvs, it's designed for wet clutches, which motorcycles and atvs have. you can not use regular automotive oil in a motorcycle or atv, as it has friction modifiers in it, which will cause the clutches to slip.
Good to know. I've seen motorcycle oil on shelves, and oil specific to ATV's (both by Valvoline). I had assumed that there was a difference, but evidently it is just marketing.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Welcome!
Good to know. I've seen motorcycle oil on shelves, and oil specific to ATV's (both by Valvoline). I had assumed that there was a difference, but evidently it is just marketing.
your correct, just marketing !..lol. I've ran motorcycle oil in all my atvs for years, same oil, different machine. they both have a wet clutch system in them ?, no difference at all , cept name and price ?..lol.

·
Registered
324 Posts
your correct, just marketing !..lol. I've ran motorcycle oil in all my atvs for years, same oil, different machine. they both have a wet clutch system in them ?, no difference at all , cept name and price ?..lol.
From what I read, the difference might be- meaning that I read it on the internet... that motorcycle oil has more zinc in it than ATV oil does, and ATV oil is designed for a wet clutch and centrifugal clutch operation, where motorcycles just have wet clutches. But, proof is in the pudding.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
From what I read, the difference might be- meaning that I read it on the internet... that motorcycle oil has more zinc in it than ATV oil does, and ATV oil is designed for a wet clutch and centrifugal clutch operation, where motorcycles just have wet clutches. But, proof is in the pudding.
if you ever worked on a motorcycle motor ?, you will notice they both have a change clutch ?, they operate pretty much the same way, the only difference is the centrifugal clutches, motorcycles are set up a tad different ?, but they still operate off a wet clutch, which is pretty much the change clutch. I've been running 4-stroke motor oil made for motorcycles in my atvs for a very long time, and they run great !!, not once have I had trouble with my clutches slipping ? . :). as I said, its a name and price thing, both do the same thing :). what you can not do ?, IS RUN AUTOMOTVE OIL IN MOTORCYCLES AND ATVS !, THIS IS A NO NO !. now, you can run automotive oil in a 4-stroke motorcycle and atv engine, sure, it will operate good on the motor itself, piston rings, cylinder, gears, all that is ok ?, but where it fails is ?..IS ON THE CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH, AND THE CHANGE CLUTCH !, it will make the friction disk in the change clutch slip, and make the centrifugal clutch arms slip in the bell housing ?, which will burn them up in a short time period. I don't care what the internet says ?, I know what works, and what does not :).

Reactions: hodge5

·
Registered
324 Posts
if you ever worked on a motorcycle motor ?, you will notice they both have a change clutch ?, they operate pretty much the same way, the only difference is the centrifugal clutches, motorcycles are set up a tad different ?, but they still operate off a wet clutch, which is pretty much the change clutch. I've been running 4-stroke motor oil made for motorcycles in my atvs for a very long time, and they run great !!, not once have I had trouble with my clutches slipping ? . :). as I said, its a name and price thing, both do the same thing :). what you can not do ?, IS RUN AUTOMOTVE OIL IN MOTORCYCLES AND ATVS !, THIS IS A NO NO !. now, you can run automotive oil in a 4-stroke motorcycle and atv engine, sure, it will operate good on the motor itself, piston rings, cylinder, gears, all that is ok ?, but where it fails is ?..IS ON THE CNETRIFUGAL CLUTCH, AND THE CHANGE CLUTCH !, it will make the friction disk in the change clutch slip, and make the centrifugal clutch arms slip in the bell housing ?, which will burn them up in a short time period. I don't care what the internet says ?, I know what works, and what does not :).
That's why I said "the proof is in the pudding", and tempered my comment with "I read it on the internet". I trust a reputable persons experiences much more than what I read online.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
if you ever worked on a motorcycle motor ?, you will notice they both have a change clutch ?, they operate pretty much the same way, the only difference is the centrifugal clutches, motorcycles are set up a tad different ?, but they still operate off a wet clutch, which is pretty much the change clutch. I've been running 4-stroke motor oil made for motorcycles in my atvs for a very long time, and they run great !!, not once have I had trouble with my clutches slipping ? . :). as I said, its a name and price thing, both do the same thing :). what you can not do ?, IS RUN AUTOMOTVE OIL IN MOTORCYCLES AND ATVS !, THIS IS A NO NO !. now, you can run automotive oil in a 4-stroke motorcycle and atv engine, sure, it will operate good on the motor itself, piston rings, cylinder, gears, all that is ok ?, but where it fails is ?..IS ON THE CNETRIFUGAL CLUTCH, AND THE CHANGE CLUTCH !, it will make the friction disk in the change clutch slip, and make the centrifugal clutch arms slip in the bell housing ?, which will burn them up in a short time period. I don't care what the internet says ?, I know what works, and what does not :).
That's why I said "the proof is in the pudding", and tempered my comment with "I read it on the internet". I trust a reputable persons experiences much more than what I read online.
sounds like your smarter than the average bear boo boo !..lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.