Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys Im a newbie and want to say this site is great so thanks to you folks for contributing. I recently traded my sons little 50cc quad for a fourtrax 250 thats in nearly perfect condition. However it has sit in a barn for the past 5 years or so. still has the original tires on it that are like new but the rear were dry rotted bad so i replaced them. the front are still like new. im guessing the float is probably stuck because of the gas running out of the overflow when the petcock is on. It starts right up first kick (battery dead) and runs fine for a few minutes but then starts to miss a little when idling. it runs fine as long as im gunning the throttle but not so good when i let off. Could all that be related to the float being stuck (if it is)? And how in the heck do ya get this carb removed? it looks like i need to remove the fenders and gas tank to get to it. is it possible to get the float off without removing this carb? it doesnt appear this carb has just 1 single bolt to remove like the older models did to remove the bowl. I am also curious what other maintenance issues I should be concerned with due to this quad setting for so long without being ran. Maybe rear end fluids? seems like it shifts kinda hard and maybe slips some in the higher gears...transmission? Thanks for any help folks!!!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I agree with red ^^^ Welcome to the forums!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help guys. at a quick glance it looked pretty tough getting those bolts out to remove the float. Im thinking a very short screwdriver might work. Im guessing by the looks of the schematic this float is rubber. I wonder if carb cleaner will damage it?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
the float is not rubber it's a hard fuel resistant poly it's much easier if you remove the carb from the bike loosen the clamps on the rubber boots unscrew the throttle cap on top of the carb slide out that assembly and remove the carb then you can give it a good cleaning chances are the fuel that sat in there when it was parked has shelacked and gelled up the carb throughout. hence causing the needle and seat to stick open allowing fuel to pass out through the overflow tube. clean it real good and you should be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the float is not rubber it's a hard fuel resistant poly it's much easier if you remove the carb from the bike loosen the clamps on the rubber boots unscrew the throttle cap on top of the carb slide out that assembly and remove the carb then you can give it a good cleaning chances are the fuel that sat in there when it was parked has shelacked and gelled up the carb throughout. hence causing the needle and seat to stick open allowing fuel to pass out through the overflow tube. clean it real good and you should be fine.
Thanks Dude! you make it sound pretty easy to get the carb out. will i need to take off any plastic to slide it out?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
it makes it a heck of alot easier. just take your time and you'll be fine Grasshopper

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok got the carb out the rear end and been cleaning it out but there was a round plastic piece just laying inside the float bowl. it doesnt look like it goes anywhere inside but i would think it has to. i didnt see it on the schematic above either. anyone know what im talking about?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If its a black piece thats a part of the float.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
post up some pics for our viewing pleasure so we can better assist you.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok it was the jet holder..put the carb back together and everything bolted on and first kick runs great...its idling pretty high though and I cant figure out how to idle it down...also the choke lever seems to be stuck..not sure if its stuck closed or open but i cant move the lever.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Well the idle is set by the knob under the bottom of the carb but you need to set the pilot screw first I would turn it in to seat it then back it out 2 to 2 1/2 turns then set the idle. the pilot screw is located under the car as well toward the ront of the quad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i will try that tomorrow...whats the word on this stuck choke lever? this quad set for a long time so there are lots of parts kinda "froze up"...the rear brakes are sticking a little and the brake/reverse lever is reaaallllly stiff.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Either the Butterfly in the carb is stuck or the shaft is seized in the carb housing. alot of time when parts like that sit for long periods of time you will notice that the metal will start to look chalky and weathered. try spraying a little lube on the choke shaft and gently work the choke lever . I never have used my choke so if it starts and runs good I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Either the Butterfly in the carb is stuck or the shaft is seized in the carb housing. alot of time when parts like that sit for long periods of time you will notice that the metal will start to look chalky and weathered. try spraying a little lube on the choke shaft and gently work the choke lever . I never have used my choke so if it starts and runs good I wouldn't sweat it.
Thanks dude that makes me feel better that I may not even need the choke. I thought these Honda's were cold natured.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Nah just pump the throttle 3 or 4 times and barely hold it in and crank away it will start just about every time. then just feather the throttle for a min or so and it will idle.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
My 450, I pump the gas 10 times on a cold day and it will crank.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts