Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, pulled the trx off a scrap load. No spark, crank, anything. Read a wiring schematic and boom she sparks and cranks. Cleand carb thoroughly, checked jets and made sure they were what factory called for 98 main 35 slow, spotless. Oil changed, new plug gapped 28, strong blue spark at 1/4 inch on spark tester. Idle screw 2.25 turns, timing chain checked and tightened, valves adjusted, cdi Lined up on cam with fire mark on crank. New gas and she starts. But its rough. Crank it open and its coughing and backfiring, turn idle mix screw in and it dies, turn it out and it will run just like crap, pull plug its black. To rich. Next step I'm pulling exhaust. But I'm new to Honda, just not mechanics. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had some of the little vents going through the carb plug and cause issues even when I thought the carb was clean. Does it run any better with the air filter off?(not recommended permanently, but for troubleshooting) Many of those older bikes have gone through many CDI boxes. Some of the Chinese replacements have a lot of drive-ability issues. Even though the timing is lined up it could be off at higher RPM if there is a cheap CDI on it.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
Did you replace the choke (enrichment) valve on the carb? Maybe it’s running rich cause the choke valve not seating or sealing completely

1 - 3 of 3 Posts