Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the cam chain guides by just removing the top end? Im not sure if the pivot bolt can be removed/replaced from the top. I dont really want to have to remove the front crankcase cover ( and all the other stuff that goes along with it) unless I have to. The guide that the tensioner pushes against and pivots on the pivot bolt is broken and must be replaced. The fixed one is probably ok, but I wanted to replace both if possible. 2005 650 Rincon. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I don't know how you would get a wrench down in there, and if you did, the little bolt would fall into the bottom end when you loosened it all the way. Then if you got the bolt out of the bottom end, how would you get it started again with the new guide in place?

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I will probably have to remove the rocker cover and head anyway to install the guides from the top, I may go ahead and remove these and take a look from the top to see if it looks like I could get to the pivot bolt by removing the cylinder. If not, I wont be out any time unless its possible to feed the guides up from the bottom without removing any top end components. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you do have to pull the front engine case off and pull the torque converter just to get to the pivot bolt on the tensioner guide. the top end has to be pulled off as well, including the cylinder up enough to get the other chain guide out and reinstalled if you change it out as well. Thanks for your input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts