Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts
full make, full model, full year would help !.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know about the the tbs the cam has a line grooved in it does that have to level across the head but It seems like if the mark is on top the lops seem to be up but if the groove is on the bottom the lobs are down.

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts
I know about the the tbs the cam has a line grooved in it does that have to level across the head but It seems like if the mark is on top the lops seem to be up but if the groove is on the bottom the lobs are down.
i'll try my best to explain this: first, your engine does not have an over head cam !!, then punch marks your thinking/talking about does not apply to this motor !!. your cam is in the front of the engine, when front cover is removed, your cam is top left, behind cover when facing front of motor. there is an index punch mark above the cam, and punch marks on the cam, both of these punch marks line up, ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE !!!, before you set and adjust the valves. if the cam chain looks stretched ?, REPLACE IT WITH A D.I.D. cam chain, you will also need a front clutch cover gasket when you pull the front cover.

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts
Thanks here is the cam I have to go in it with the mark on the cam I was talking about with the mark when cam lobe is down and up. If the lobe the mark is down how would u know it's right if u can't see the mark
is there any punch marks on the other side, towards the lobes on the cam sprocket ?. if not, rule of thumb, ALWAYS PUT THE CAM LOBES FACING STRAIGHT DOWN !. line the T mark up in the sight hole on the compression stroke, adjust the valves.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That line is supposed to be used for timing the cam alright, it will be at the 6 o'clock position and parallel with the cylinder top edge. It will be visible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts