Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey could really use some help testing an electrical issue for a 2010 Honda 420 4x4
Manual shift.
4x4 indicator light won't come on and no power at the connector on the front diff and it should have voltage there. I've also switched out the ECU with another and no change.
I don't know where to test the 4x4 wire and the wire diagram looks like Chinese lol
Can anyone help? ......with a red neck explaination Lol

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I can't help with the electrical side of things as I have limited experience with your model. Does 4x4 engage at all? Is it cable operated, I thought it was?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is cable operated and 4x4 does not engage either.
I was able test the indicator light using the repair manual and it works when I jump it with a ground wire as it should.
So I thought maybe it was the front did or the switch on it and I plugged in another front diff that I have and it still didn't work.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Strange. I'd have assumed that as it is cable operated that it would engage regardless of the light. Is there a sensor down near the diff/driveline at all?
Do you have a proper service manual?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I assume that the front diff is bad if the light doesn't come on? Or does the 4x4 need the light to work? Idk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I got the manual off this site but it doesn't off much info on it.
There is no sensor by the front diff but it does plug into a switch.
.... which I think answers my question of which comes first the light or the diff lol
I guess if it's manual then it tells the light what to do.
I did plug in an outside diff and it didn't work but maybe because it's not mounted in the bike then maybe it isn't grounded properly.
....gonna switch that diff out and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
No not at all. All the lever does is engage drive from the transmission to the diff. The issue here lies with the drive shaft (424 system) I beleive. To check your diff jack the front up and Spin a wheel, the other should spin the opposite way. Follow the cable down from the lever and see if it actually working, or could be a simple fix such as a broken or disconnected cable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the Honda 420 the 4x4 engages at the front diff. The front drive shaft spins all the time.
But when I spin then wheels they not spin independently. So maybe I have two problems the front diff and the little electrical switch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did check the cable connections tho and they are working. The wheels spin in the same direction not in different directions.

I bought this bike just knowing it was an abused mud bike so I don't know the history but I think we've (you lol) determined front diff is the problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Ahh ok. I thought the 4x4 was operated in a similar way to the 424 bolt on systems for the 300's. As for the diff, an open diff would have one wheel turn one way and the other the opposite, you say it was an abused mud bike though, I'm now wondering if the diff has been welded or locked in some way and this has caused the 4x4 kick out to break.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol probably because everything else on this bike was trashed. Even a rear hub welded on.
I ordered a diff switch and will replace the front diff itself tomorrow. I think both are the culprit.

....shade tree if you are reading this stop laughing at me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts