Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2012 honda 500 Foreman with traxlok 4X4 right... and it says it has a torque sensing front diff and i have yet to see it. how ever if you apply light pressure to the front brake, when one wheel is spinning, both wheels will tend to start to pull when one has more traction then the other.. honda needs to have a front locker

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you apply the brake, you are creating friction on the wheel spinning, thus causing the bike to put more torque on the spinning wheel to keep it spinning against the resistance (brake). Then the torque sensitive front diff applies the same amount of torque to the other side causing it to spin too. Sounds to me like you have seen a torque sensitive diff work...

A torque sensitive diff applies the same amount of torque to both wheels. Unfortunately it applies whatever the least amount of torque needed to spin is on either wheel to both wheels. Therefore, if one tire is completely spinning with very little or no resistance very little torque is required. It equally distributes that amount of torque to the stuck wheel which isn't enough to spin it. Pressure on the brakes causes the spinning wheel to require more torque to rotate so the diff starts applying more torque to the other wheel. Eventually the other will start to spin too when your brake pressure resistance equals out to the resistance of the stuck wheel.

It's working exactly as its designed to. I agree, Honda needs a locker on the atvs like the big red has.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
hondaman08
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing