Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a rough 05 450r kicker for $1400. it runs but when im not reving it just stalls. ive adjusted the idle screw and i put on a Works Connection air/fuel mixture screw. ive adjusted both back and forth but no luck. it has fresh gas in it.

for some reason smoke comes out of one of the carb breather tubes and another tube that goes from the motor into the side of the air box. it has a full hmf and uni on it and i dont think its jetted.

i think the problem may be the air fuel screw because before i put the aftermarket adjustment screw on it idled fine. maybe this is screw is meant for a different carb? or maybe im not turning far enough or too far? please give me some advice and info on what i should do any try. i plan to clean the carb out tomorrow. please let me know how far the air/fuel mixture screw should be out. thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It just sounds like you need to clean the carb, when you have it running does the exhaust pop a lot? In that case I would to a COMPLETE carb clean/ rebuild and make sure there is no junk.

Good Luck,
Cameron

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just sounds like you need to clean the carb, when you have it running does the exhaust pop a lot? In that case I would to a COMPLETE carb clean/ rebuild and make sure there is no junk.

Good Luck,
Cameron
i did. it idles now but not at a constant. revs goes up and down by itself. what could that be? the carb and jets are very clean now. the rod on the accelerator pump is bent alittle bit though. could that be it?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Good Luck,
Cameron
i did. it idles now but not at a constant. revs goes up and down by itself. what could that be? the carb and jets are very clean now. the rod on the accelerator pump is bent alittle bit though. could that be it?
Hmm. That could be it, that may be causing the fluctuation in idle. I'm honestly very lost with this one, very weird and I'm not sure. Hope someone else can help.
Good luck,
Cameron

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
In your first post you explain your entire problem. It has a full hmf pipe and uni filter and you dont think its jetted. This sounds exactly like a jetting problem. Also the reason the mixture screw dosnt have any effect. Classic pilot jet to small. Idle going up and down is lean on the pilot circuit also. Tune that poor thing before it burns up is my best advice i can give you.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
No problem! Always glad to help!

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
If you can turn the fuel mix screw and there is no change then you may have a clogged idle circuit. . . . Also did you install the tiny washer and O-ring on the fuel screw? If not then you will have an idle issue too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can turn the fuel mix screw and there is no change then you may have a clogged idle circuit. . . . Also did you install the tiny washer and O-ring on the fuel screw? If not then you will have an idle issue too.
yeah i may be missing one of them. i will check tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
But with that Hotstart stripped out ......

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts