Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 04 450R Jet kit and a White Brothers E pipe, all else is stock. And if u blip the throttle at mid Rpm it will kinda hickup back thru the carb sometimes and stall, Not always but sometimes. And does anyone have trouble with the stock gearing, any ideas on what tooth front sprocket i should use for trailrideing and hill climbing?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm kind of new to the sport quads but is there any wayt that you can adjust the timing? Maybe advance it a touch? That may help with the "hickup".

As for the gearing, I would think that you would want a lower tooth count so that the motor has an easier time turning the wheels. you will lose some top end speed tho.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a plan, does anyone know if the timeing plate is under the stator on the 450R?

·
Registered
195 Posts
If nobody here knows, I'd call up a dealer or performance shop and see what they say. Maybe even ano auto/4x4 performance shop might know.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Did you adjust for the jet kit? Meaning running the bike for about 10 minutes or so check the factory adjustment settings on the pilot jet, say it's 3 1/2 turns out, I would make a mark on the screw and the carb at the screw turn it all the way in until it seats counting how many times you pass your marks do not over tighten the screw you just want it to start to feel snug and stop then I would back it out about 1/2 to 3/4 turn farther than it was and adjust your idle stop back to a good Idle. Run the piss out of it get it nice and hot on your last pass before stopping wind it up and immediatley shut it down do not let it idle down just shut it down. pull your plug and check it if its white looking = to much air dark = to much fuel. If you haven't removed the air box lid do it put in a new plug and run it agian. You want the plug to look like the color of coffee with creamer (medium beige). As for the gear smaller back sprocket will get you out faster to topend.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, i got it today it was a little off mix on the fuel it seem's it was running lean and im gointg to pick up a 12 tooth front sprocket 14 is factory so maby that will gear me down enough, its like rideing with no first gear

·
Registered
195 Posts
with going to a gear with less teeth, you will notice that first gear will be shorter. You may also lose some of your top end. If your not worried about that, then it will be worth it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea its a kinda Have to thing, my clutch wont last like this

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Yo wassup. I'm getting a 13 tooth for my 450r because of this problem. Hopefully it will help. I don't use top end very rarely.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im thinking about a 12 because its running out of grunt nearing the top useually

·
Registered
195 Posts
Let us know how it performs. I would love to regear mine as I use it in the woods mostly. It has plenty of power but more low end torque and gearing would help to get up and over things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
for u guys talk about the spockets its chain the front 1 is like change the back by threbut ite so a bigger front gives u more speed with awith smaller back and for the with the 04 it sound like your timing chain is stritch u make be able to make up for it with adjusting the time

·
Registered
3 Posts
the proplem with that is if the timing chain is that bad to though off the timing that bad to make it bogg i would replace it before it brakes and then u r look at major problems

1 - 15 of 15 Posts