Honda ATV Forum banner

450r Plastic on 300ex

31K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Trx300566 
#1 ·
I was following a thread from a few years ago and wanted to do a similar setup on my girlfriend's 300ex. We wanted to put the newer style plastic onto the older 93-06 300ex. We ended up using 09' 450r front plastics, 04-05 450r Hood, 04-05 450r Headlight, 07+ 300ex Gas Tank Cover, 07+ 300ex Rear Plastics, 06' 450r Seat.

The front plastics are actually mounted using the 93-06 bracket. I just put it into a vice and bent it a few different ways so that it lined up virtually perfect with the 450r front plastics. I also mounted the headlight the the fender support bracket as well. The rear plastics were mounted using another front fender support bracket I had. I cut it and just mounted it to the IMS heelguards. I will have to get pictures of how I did all of this if anyone else is curious to do it. All in all, I think it looks 100X better than before!!! If you have any questions, please let me know.

FYI- We waited 2 months on the stock 07+ 300ex seat from Motosport, and was unable to get it. We got tired of waiting and just ordered a 450r seat instead. It's not going to be a direct fit, but we will get it on there. Going to try the 07+ 300ex latch system as well since those parts were already ordered when we first ordered the seat. Here are a few pics!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Save yourself the headache. . . 07-up 300 ex plastics look virtually identical to the 450R. And much easier to mount

#5 · (Edited)
It honestly wasn't that hard to mount the 450r plastic at all. I used the stock 300ex mounting bracket.

In the front plastic and brackets, I spent $70.34 for each front fender (Left and Right), and $16.84 a piece for each bracket that mounts to the fenders themselves. For a final price of $174.36. This was during Motosport's 25% off OEM sale two months ago. There prices now are skyrocketed. Motosport wants $85.41 a side, and $21.34 each for the fender bracket. RockyMountainATV isn't cheaper either. They want $92.60 for each fender in Black, and $17.97 each for the fender brackets. If you were to order them today, it would be $221.14 through RockyMountainATV and $213.15 through Motosport.

If I was to get the 300ex front plastic, I would be paying $176.13 a side, and $70.15 for the 07+ front fender bracket through RockyMountainATV. For a final price of $422.41. Through Motosport, it would be $200.13 a side (for Black), and $79.72 for the bracket. For a final price of $479.98.

Why would I spend more money on one front fender than I did on both plus the brackets for the 450r? You will save $209.26 if you buy the TRX 450r plastic through RockyMountainATV. I would rather spend that money on something else...

#6 ·
yea i see your point...its the reason i have the 400 plastics on mine right now..got them for 40 bucks off a friend,spent 40 on the seat (witch i had to recover..like 17 bucks) and 400 bracket for the front...idk why all the 300 plastics are so expensive..guess itll depend on what i find..but good job on ur bike..looks good..did u get a seat?

#11 ·
I am going to cut off the sides of the old 300 seat latch, drill through the new one, stick a small bolt and nut in it to make the seat latch longer. I don't have Photoshop at work, so you should get the idea of what I mean.

The one picture is of the original 300 latch (with the handle lever). I am going to cut off both sides so that it looks like the just the jagged edge that actually fits into the seat. It will work.

Attachments

#13 ·
I will post pictures later on or sometime tomorrow. I am going to work on getting the latch to work. I cut the seat last night where the rubber grommets hold the seat into place. I just need the seat to latch in now. Shouldn't be too hard.

These are pictures from last night. Just testing out the new headlight/tail light, and a mock-up of the seat.

Attachments

#16 ·
lmao i bet..i does look like a 450 for sure..i know the newer 300 and even the 250ex look similar but the headlight is deffanatly diffrent..my brother has an 07 300ex and the light is almost completly covered by the hood..its is fun though..i was frustrated a lot with the 400 plastics..mostly the seat cause the 400 frame is wider so nothing would hook into place except the rear latch lol

#17 · (Edited)
I got the seat on yesterday. Had to cut out the seat some more to fit where the seat cushions on the frame go. I drilled out the seat latch exactly like I said yesterday and it works perfectly! The only thing I will have to do is put some velcro on the front of the seat and a part of the gas tank to hold the front of the seat down to the tank. Right now it has around a 1/2 - 1 inch of a gap. Was in a hurry last night, so I didn't get a chance to snap any pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.