Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had grief with front wheel bearings?

My front brakes would not stay adjusted and found my shoes on the left side worn out.

When I reassembeled the drums and tightend the spindle nut the wheel bearing were loose the right side is the worst. the thing is that before I took it apart they were fine, has anyone expierienced this?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Is the spindle nut a castle nut with a cotter pin or a nylock nut? if its a nylock you need to replace them they are basically a onetime use nut. if its a castle nut just tighten it up until the wheel is a little hard to turn and back it off to the next hole that the nut and shaft line up to, out in the cotter pin (NEW) and test ride for a bit.
Also alot of this depends on what kind of abuse your putting your bike through mud, water, ect. ect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Castleated nut

It sees lots of muskeg and mud. I just think it is strange that it had play after I reassembed it. I ordered an aftermarket set of bearings that are sealed on both sides, the OEM ones are only sealed on one side.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
that should help out anything sealed is good check your spindle threads and make sure the are in good shape too the slightest flat spot will cause them to loosen-up. also do a pretrip inspection and a post trip I do it everytime I ride it's a good habit to get into plus you will be able to determine more easily if there is a problem.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Was the copper pin missing by chance? Did you seat the bearings in all the way? I have noticed before that if you do not seat bearings properly and then dirve on them, they wilol seat themselves but then will appear to be loose and can cause damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the new parts, aftermarket bearings sealed both sides not like the OEM only sealed on one side.
Dissasembled and wow, bearing rollers just fell right out, full of dirt and rust good thing I replaced them

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
The bigger the tires are the faster you will wear out bearings and a big off set will wear them out faster to. If your running bigger tires and lots of mud and water get a good name brand bearing should last longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts