Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well jcooper no need to get mad man..

And shade I adjusted the valves and no change just made the turning over a bit smoother but no start.. And thanks for the step by step procedures I appreciate that.. And that pull start removal helped a lot by the way.. Also how do I upload a video.. Wanna show ya what it's doing

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts

And shade I adjusted the valves and no change just made the turning over a bit smoother but no start.. And thanks for the step by step procedures I appreciate that.. And that pull start removal helped a lot by the way.. Also how do I upload a video.. Wanna show ya what it's doing
your welcome bro. no need to show me what it's doing..i see it alot !!..lol. it's spitting fuel back out the carb..correct ???.this tells me..it's jumped time ?..or it never was timed right to begin with ?. soooo..your best bet ?..drain the oil..remove the front engine cover..and have a look at the cam..cam chain ?..i'm sure the marks are off !..lol. a stretched cam chain can cause your problem, a bent valve ?..but my money is on the cam chain has jumped time..and it's throwing your valves off. if you were near me ?..i'd have you bring it by..and we'd fix it !!!.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

your welcome bro. no need to show me what it's doing..i see it alot !!..lol. it's spitting fuel back out the carb..correct ???.this tells me..it's jumped time ?..or it never was timed right to begin with ?. soooo..your best bet ?..drain the oil..remove the front engine cover..and have a look at the cam..cam chain ?..i'm sure the marks are off !..lol. a stretched cam chain can cause your problem, a bent valve ?..but my money is on the cam chain has jumped time..and it's throwing your valves off. if you were near me ?..i'd have you bring it by..and we'd fix it !!!.
got a question if your cam chain was stretched enough to put it off time would it be very rattly and keep jumping time or not run at all??

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Depending on how much the time was jumped.. One tooth I'm guessing a hard start or run very crappy.. More then 2 teeth!!! Pssh no start and start to spit gas out of the carb!! Only way I can make it kinda wanna start it by pressing the black plunger beside the carb like 4 times!! Get the exhaust pop but its more because of thee hmf then anything lol.. Mine used to start and run but no more then 1/4 throttle ever!! No matter what gear!! Cleaned carb!! All factory components off a working 450 foreman on mine and still same exact thing!! Then started spitting gas out of the carb.. And at that time I guess it jumped more then before!!!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah I'm guessing its the timing as well shade tree!! I've tried everything!! And guy I bought it front said the top end had just been bored .50 over and it's believable since the whole top end looks kinda newer then the rest of the engine!! I guess at that time they never adjusted the timing chain!!! Had this guy that was gnna help but ahh I'm getting impatient!! And shade where are you located man?? I'm in memphis TN

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts

got a question if your cam chain was stretched enough to put it off time would it be very rattly and keep jumping time or not run at all??
it will run if it's a couple teeth off ?..but it will blow fuel out the carb. he also can have bad piston rings as well ?.

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts
Yeah I'm guessing its the timing as well shade tree!! I've tried everything!! And guy I bought it front said the top end had just been bored .50 over and it's believable since the whole top end looks kinda newer then the rest of the engine!! I guess at that time they never adjusted the timing chain!!! Had this guy that was gnna help but ahh I'm getting impatient!! And shade where are you located man?? I'm in memphis TN
i'm in north little rock bro, about 2 1/2 hours west of you on I-40..lol. before you start tearing the front of the motor off ?..pull the top end down..and have a look at the head..and cylinder..you very well could have bad piston rings !!..I've got a trx400 i'm working on right now..i pulled the top end off after it stoped running..and the rings and piston was shot all to crap !..lol. soooo..it's a lot easier to pull the top end down..than it is to pull the front of the engine apart on this model !..lol. if you would like for me to fix it ?..you can drive over here..and we can tear it down..and i'll go through it while you watch and learn !..lol. all you pay for is parts and a small part in my labor..nothing compaired to what you would be charged if you took it to a dealer !..lol. I rebuilt a motor for a member from forest city not long ago..he was one happy camper !..lol. his was a trx420 rancher.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Mine will try to start if I put gas direct in their!!! But that's about it!! Carb is good though!!2 1/2 ain't that bad at all!! Shoot to meet you and have you (shadetree) work on my foreman I'd travel lol!! And the labor of course I wouldn't let you do a free job or anyone at that!.... And I wil try to tear it apart tonight maybe!! Ohh and do you think you could really have it running in one day???

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
Shade you are wasting your time. If you dont know what tdc is then DO NOT work on your own engine!
This coming from a guy who knew nada about an atv engine a few short months ago..Nice friendly,helpful attitude Jason...

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts
Mine will try to start if I put gas direct in their!!! But that's about it!! Carb is good though!!2 1/2 ain't that bad at all!! Shoot to meet you and have you (shadetree) work on my foreman I'd travel lol!! And the labor of course I wouldn't let you do a free job or anyone at that!.... And I wil try to tear it apart tonight maybe!! Ohh and do you think you could really have it running in one day???
if I know what is wrong with it ?..and I have the parts handy ?..then yes..i could get it running in a days time..lol. all depends on what all it needs ??..i'm good..just not the best !..lol. I can tell you this, if you round up the parts..like..cam chain..top end gasket kit some yamahabond..and bring it to me ?..i'd fix it for ya, if it needs a piston and rings ?..that may take alittle longer ?..but i'm sure I could get it done. my problem is getting parts !..I normally don't order parts until I know for a fact what all i'll need.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Exactly deepinthabrush.. I'm here to learn and I've actually stuck around and plan on sticking around!! Didn't just make a profile to ask on question! Here for the long run'!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Hey shadetree you know that actually sounds great!! Also would be like hands on training huh??

And shade ima try to get the top end apart and see how it looks to determine if I actually need to order rings or piston and ill take a picture and then you can be the judge that part?? I'm guessing the sleeve should be smooth correct?? Will anything come flying out or anything I should be careful with when I pull the top end apart in a bit??

Also would I really need a new cam chain or do you think it's just not aligned correctly?? If i take the top end apart tonight and determine its good and wanna put back together will I need new seals or use the same ones??

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts
Hey shadetree you know that actually sounds great!! Also would be like hands on training huh??

And shade ima try to get the top end apart and see how it looks to determine if I actually need to order rings or piston and ill take a picture and then you can be the judge that part?? I'm guessing the sleeve should be smooth correct?? Will anything come flying out or anything I should be careful with when I pull the top end apart in a bit??
yeah..hands on training !..lmfao...like you bro..16 years ago..i learned a lot from watching other ppl..and doing the '' hands on '' all by myself !. I was about your age when I got my first project..it was a piece of junk to say the least ??..but it was free !!!..lol. I spent a whole summer wrenching on it..it was a atc200es, I rebuilt the motor..replaced all the bad parts..and then sold it for 2500 bucks !..that was a lot of money for me back then...sooo..I kinda got hooked on rebuilding atc's..atv's..small motors..jet ski's..anything that has a small motor ?..i'd get dirty !!..lol. my last motor cycle I rebuilt just today I finished !!..1983 Honda cx650c..turned out very nice..and rides and runs like a new bike !..not bad for a 1983 model !..lol. the motor cycle before that..was my 1987 Honda super magna..paid 700 bucks for it..rebuilt the motor..and a few other things on it..and just sold it not long ago..sold it for 2800 bucks..guy was like a new born baby in a topless bar !..he said he has never seen a 1987 super look so dang good for its age !!..I tried to tell him..don't bother driving from TN..and think your gonna low ball me ?!!..it's not gonna happen !..lol.bike was a collectors item all day long. and now I have the 1983 Honda cx650c done ( not washed it yet )..i'll be posting in on CL's probally tomorrow after I wash it..gonna ask 2500 for it..i have a spare cx650c motor..frame..and parts to go with it..probally enough to make another cx650c running bike ?..but i'm done with the cx650c..time to move on to my next project..which is a 1998 trx450s I have on the back burner !..lol.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes I'm hooked on this atv thing as well.. I like to fix them and learn about them.. Even learned how to reupholster my own atv seat lol.. I've bought about 5 atv's and sold them and made profit but this foreman is mine.its been my dream atv for about a year and jumped on it when I saw it!!. After I have it running I'm gnna get different color fenders and all oem air component parts.!?!! But it's a keeper!! As well as my red 300 and a green still being rebuilt.. Finns graduate in about 10 days so my days are hectic and gotta keep the grades up.. Also I've learned plenty mechanics from my brother and dad but all this atv stuff on my own?? Everyone likes to ride but I'm the only one who actually spends money on them.. I love them with a passion!! Wanna buy a messed up motor one day take it apart and fix it.. Future plan..

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts
Yes I'm hooked on this atv thing as well.. I like to fix them and learn about them.. Even learned how to reupholster my own atv seat lol.. I've bought about 5 atv's and sold them and made profit but this foreman is mine.its been my dream atv for about a year and jumped on it when I saw it!!. After I have it running I'm gnna get different color fenders and all oem air component parts.!?!! But it's a keeper!! As well as my red 300 and a green still being rebuilt.. Finns graduate in about 10 days so my days are hectic and gotta keep the grades up.. Also I've learned plenty mechanics from my brother and dad but all this atv stuff on my own?? Everyone likes to ride but I'm the only one who actually spends money on them.. I love them with a passion!! Wanna buy a messed up motor one day take it apart and fix it.. Future plan..
lol..everyone is always telling me..hey shadetree..you spend more time wrenching than you do riding ?!..i'm like..yeppers...that's me..i'd rather wrench than ride!!..lol.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
When i come inside like at 10-11 at night my mom says are you done being with your gf lol.. Hey shade if I take the top end apart and it looks good so I wanna put it back do I use the same seals or will I need new ones.. And will anything jump out once I open it up?!!

·
Super Moderator
37,577 Posts
When i come inside like at 10-11 at night my mom says are you done being with your gf lol.. Hey shade if I take the top end apart and it looks good so I wanna put it back do I use the same seals or will I need new ones.. And will anything jump out once I open it up?!!
well bro..no...nothing will jump out at you...like springs and such ?!..butt..you deff will need a new top end gasket kit !!!!..when you pull the top end down..and pull the cylinder off the piston..your going to ruin your base gasket..it will never seal right again..it will leak oil !..sooo..you deff will need a new top end gasket kit. now..if for some lucky reason..you don't mess up the base gasket ? ( I have never pulled a cylinder yet..that did not ruin a base gasket !..lol ), then you may be able to re-use the same head gasket and rocker box gasket ?..that is...if you go buy a can of copper spray !!..it's like a can of spray paint..but it's a copper coating..and it will let you re-use the head gasket and rocker box gasket if they can be re-used ???. I've used it a lot..and it works !!.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ok well shade off the computer I go.. I'm about to go mess with the foreman 9:15 lol ill report back to ya later and ill be taking pictures as well..

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
image.jpg Ok shade took me long but i got an update.. The piston is as smooth and as lubricated as a babies A#% lol!!!! But seriously it's really smooth.. But the valves look kinda weird to me?! What' you think??

21 - 40 of 73 Posts