Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a 2001 450 foreman 4x4 and its spittinf gas out the carb and well I know it could be timing chain but also it could be on wrong stroke.. Now so I've aligned the t-mark like 4 times already and the piston ends up on top every time..!!! Does that mean timing!???!!! Isn't It suppose to end up on TDC when it's aligned???? I'm confused!! Really wanna ride this foreman and retire my 300 from mudding life and restore it!!! Thankd

·
Super Moderator
37,574 Posts
there is a sticky on how to adjust the valves..as well tell you how and when your piston is on TDC !..your main concern is to have your piston on top dead center on the compression stroke !!!..DO NOT SET THE T MARK ON THE FLYWHEEL IN THE SIGHT HOLE AND ADJUST YOUR VALVES ON THE EXHAUST STROKE !!. did you rebuild this motor ??..do you know for a fact the cam sprocket and cam chain was set on the marks inside the front cover ????..just because the T mark lines up..and the piston is on top dead center ?..DOES NOT MEAN THE CAM LOBES ARE FACING THE RIGHT WAY !!..LOL. sooo..I can't tell you if this is the case or not ?..as I did not rebuild the motor ?..but I do know what i'm talking about here.

·
Super Moderator
37,574 Posts
and just to let you know..anytime a motor spits back out the carb ?..this means the timing is off ?..or you have a bent or bad intake valve !.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just think is I've been reading all the valves stuff all day and I'm super confused!! Some day do this or do that and not that it's just confusing!! I'm 18 and never taken my atv's to a shop!! Had a guy that supposedly was gnna help but he keeps saying Sunday Sunday Sunday and nothing!! I really wanna get this thing fixed!! And I did not rebuild this motor or haven't rebuilt anything in it either!' Simply got it!! Wouldn't go past 1/4 throttle them wouldn't start and spitting gas through carb!! Very frustrated at this point shadetree!!? Sorry everyone just really had to vent and let go!!! Ahhhh

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I know when it's on compression stroke???

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And just to clear things up and my confusion TDC= Top Dead Center right!!???! Which means the piston will be in the center of the piston sleeve??? Or all the way to the top? Confused about that also

·
Super Moderator
37,574 Posts
And just to clear things up and my confusion TDC= Top Dead Center right!!???! Which means the piston will be in the center of the piston sleeve??? Or all the way to the top? Confused about that also
ok..seeing how you did not read or won't read my sticky ?..lol..i'll make this reallyyyyyyyyyy simple for ya bro !..lol. first..pull the spark plug..remove the gas tank..plastic shroud under the tank..yu'll need this off in order to remove the rocker box :). now..on the right rear side of the motor..near the foot brake...is a 6mm allen head cap..remove it..ok..now..you can do this next part the hard way ?..or my way..which I find is easier !..soooo..lets try it the easy way for you..ok ?. remove the pull starter off the back of the motor..its bolted on with about four 8mm bolts..ok..now you can see the metal part that's behind the pull starter. now remove the four 10mm bolts from the rocker box..once this is off..you will see the rockers under it. now..with a flashlight..look into the sight hole where that 6mm allen cap was..you will see the side of the flywheel..with your left hand..turn the metal bracket towards you..this is called clock-wise by the way :). as your doing this..watch inside the sight hole..your looking for the T mark to show up just inside the hole. once the T mark is there ?..your piston is going to be on TDC ( top dead center )..now..in order to know for sure your piston is on TDC on the compression stroke ?..you will turn that metal bracket back there on the very back of the motor counter-clockwise..when you do this..glance up..and watch the intake valve..if it starts to go down when your turning the crank backwards ( counter-clockwise )..then stop !..and turn the crank clock-wise towards you !..slowly until that T mark is showing back up just inside the sight hole..once it's there..stop..then check your valves with fealer gauges..or by hand ..I go by hand ( feal )..cuz I know how they should feal !..lol. now..if for some reason..when your turning the crank counter-clockwise..and you were watching the intake valve to see if it moves..and it did not ???..then do this..turn the crank clockwise ...towards you !..until the T mark shows in the sight hole...then keep turning it all the way around one full turn..back until that T mark is back in the sight hole..then..from there..turn the crank backwards again..while doing this..the intake valve should start to go down !. if it does..then slowly turn the crank clockwise towards you !!..until that T mark is back in the sight hole..once there..adjust the valves..you will need a 10mm wrench or socket ( a 10mm box wrench works best ! )..loosen both 10mm nuts on the intake and exhaust valves, your fealer gauge should be incerted under the tappets to set the valves..you should be able to slide the gauge just under the tappet and the top of the valve spring with a slight drag felt to it..then screw the small bolt in the center down until the fealer gauge is right..then tighten the 10mm lock nut down..do both valves the same way..the exhaust valve calls for 0.006 I believe ?..and the intake is 0.005..i set mine by hand, and do not use fealer gauges..never have..never will..lol..( doing it 16 yrears..you pretty well know where they should be !..lol ). once the valves are set..with some copper spray..spray both sides of the rocker box gasket ( it's the black gasket )..put it on the motor..rocker box back on..bolts in the rocker box, install the pull starter back on, install the 6mm sight hole plug. if you have an old oil squirt can..the kind with a pump lever works great !..put some fuel in the carb..and give it a test fire !. if it's set right..it should run !..the only thing I can not tell you is...did someone that may have rebuilt the motor before you ?..may have not installed the cam..cam chain back in the front of the motor right ?????..if they did not ??..no matter what all I just told you right here ?..will not matter one bit..it will not run at all.

·
Super Moderator
37,574 Posts
Shade you are wasting your time. If you dont know what tdc is then DO NOT work on your own engine!
lol bro..what can I say..i'm used to helping..lol. whats that saying..'' you can lead a horse to water''..but you can't make him drink it '' !!..lol.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow I will try this step by step when I get home shade! And no I don't know what TDC is jcooper but I'm 100% sure you weren't born knowing either??? And I have taken my atv's apart diffs axles wiring engine out but I have just never been inside of the engine!!! I like to learn and of course do my own work on my own machines but this engine stuff is new to me and its pretty darn confusing'??!!! Because people have all kinda of ways to do it and again shade or whoever do TDC means that the piston will be in the center of the sleeves or all the way on top??? Please clear that up.. Maybe you can answer jcooper

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read your sticky shade!! Very simple procedures ill be following everything and stop reading what everyone else says and just go by this.. Thanks again.. I'm guessing bad valve adjustment won't cause gas spitting out of carb meaning its timing!! But I'll try anyways never know right?

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Top dead center means your piston is at the highest point in the cylinder. Top dead center is the basis of 95% of all engine work. I really encourage you to get online and research. Go to youtube, and type in "how does an engine work".

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Come on jcooper I've researched for about a week now and your kinda making me seem slow.. I asked what TDC means cause no one would give a straight answer.. And thanks for clearing that up by the way. I just wanted to be 100% sure. I aligned the tmark and it was on top of the cylinder so I guess it was right..??? I've watched valve videos for 2 hours straight yesterday..

·
Super Moderator
37,574 Posts
Wow I will try this step by step when I get home shade! And no I don't know what TDC is jcooper but I'm 100% sure you weren't born knowing either??? And I have taken my atv's apart diffs axles wiring engine out but I have just never been inside of the engine!!! I like to learn and of course do my own work on my own machines but this engine stuff is new to me and its pretty darn confusing'??!!! Because people have all kinda of ways to do it and again shade or whoever do TDC means that the piston will be in the center of the sleeves or all the way on top??? Please clear that up.. Maybe you can answer jcooper
yep bro...TDC = means top dead center in the cylinder sleave . the main thing is..is you have the piston on top dead center on the compression stroke..AND NOT THE EXHAUST stroke when you adjust the valves !!. I explained how to know for sure where you have the piston above ^^^^^.

·
Super Moderator
37,574 Posts
I read your sticky shade!! Very simple procedures ill be following everything and stop reading what everyone else says and just go by this.. Thanks again.. I'm guessing bad valve adjustment won't cause gas spitting out of carb meaning its timing!! But I'll try anyways never know right?
bad valve adjustment could cause gas coming back out the intake ?..butt..more than not..it's because of the timing is off a good bit.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok shade.. Thanks for making this clear about the compression and exhaust stroke deal!! I will be checking into it in a bit and let y'all know how it goes... Ill try the valves and if that doesn't fix anything then it'll be time for the cam chain checking!! Ooh man the horror of opening it up... Lol

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You see shade jcooper said TDC= means its the highest point in the cylinder and your saying it means dead center of the sleeve!???? Which is it??

·
Super Moderator
37,574 Posts
You see shade jcooper said TDC= means its the highest point in the cylinder and your saying it means dead center of the sleeve!???? Which is it??
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...lmao...listen..it makes no difference if the piston is in the middle of the sleave or not ?..( well..you do want it to be in the middle of the sleave when it's running..thats for sure !.lol )..regardless..TDC is when the piston is on the upper stroke...the very top of the sleave !!..forget everything you keeping thinking about the middle of the sleave..that's not even the case here !..lol. all you should be concerned about is..IS YOU HAVE THE PISTON AT THE VERY TOP OF THE CYLINDER...ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE !!..this is when you adjust the valves. if you try adjusting the valves on the exhaust stroke ??..you very well can get the piston to smack the valves when it comes time for the compression stroke..and bend...or break a valve !. just follow the post I typped out to set your valves...if you follow it too the tee ???..then it should run !..if it does not run ?..then some dummy installed the cam chain wrong !..lol.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts