Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently made a few mods to ol'trusty, including a locker in the front and a snorkel. the snorkel is a 1 1/4" hot tub tube and does not deliver enough air. I have water proofed everything else and do lots of river riding. I hydrolocked it once last year and decided the snorkel was necessary. I used the stock inlet to the air box cut it and gooped the snorkel into it then snaked it up and out the right side. it seemed to work before I attached it in place. I may have enough room for a larger tube but am wondering if that will solve my problem. Do aftermarket snorks require a carb adjust? does it need to be smooth tube vs.ribbed or just a straighter run? any advice welcome.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2" pvc is what you want 1 1/4" is to small it cant flow enough air and the ribs dont help any at all. at least 1 1/2" flex hose that is smooth on the inside you want the least amount of restriction as possible. and you may need to rejet if you add a pipe or high flow air filter at the same time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so far Ive gone up to a straight run of 1 1/2" pvc, works great at full thrttle but poor idle and low rpm. spark plug showing lean condition. Im gussing it wont work right without high flow exhaust and more gas.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I would try to richen up the carb and see how it runs then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2" pvc is what you want 1 1/4" is to small it cant flow enough air and the ribs dont help any at all. at least 1 1/2" flex hose that is smooth on the inside you want the least amount of restriction as possible. and you may need to rejet if you add a pipe or high flow air filter at the same time.
Im getting ready to do my 04 450 as well. Did you do 2" on your 03? I would rather not make any carb adjustnments at all. I do not intend on changing the air filter or exhaust. Do you have pics?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently made a few mods to ol'trusty, including a locker in the front and a snorkel. the snorkel is a 1 1/4" hot tub tube and does not deliver enough air. I have water proofed everything else and do lots of river riding. I hydrolocked it once last year and decided the snorkel was necessary. I used the stock inlet to the air box cut it and gooped the snorkel into it then snaked it up and out the right side. it seemed to work before I attached it in place. I may have enough room for a larger tube but am wondering if that will solve my problem. Do aftermarket snorks require a carb adjust? does it need to be smooth tube vs.ribbed or just a straighter run? any advice welcome.
How much this modification cost to you and you have done it yourself or by some professionals?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts