Honda ATV Forum banner

420 valve seals

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Grantman1234 
#1 ·
Anyone ever changed the valve seals on a 420?? I'm rebuilding the top end and Im having problems with the seals. How do you get the old seals completely out of the lil holder deals on top of the valve guides. It seems like these were heated up or something and they didn't just pop out like any others I have ever changed. They just tore apart when I tried pulling them out. Any suggestions?

#4 ·
more than likely..they are gonna rip apart...makes no difference..your gonna replace them with new ones....right ??..soooooo..rip them off..toss them..lube the guide up with some oil or grease..pop the new ones back on..just go easy...so you won't tear them..or mess up the springs on the new seals.

#5 ·
If the seals were on an older model atv like a 300,or 350 I'd say they dried out from many years of heat,hard usage,and such,but on a 420,I'd guess it was either some very high mileage,maybe caused by an additive someone put into the oil,or maybe a bad batch of seals...:icon_ devil:

#6 ·
Ha called up The Honda shop. Figured out the problem. I had got a top end gasket kit for a 07-08 rancher. Figuring the motor hadn't changed any. Well just an FYI for everybody, they changed the valve seals! I knew somethin wasn't right. The seal is on the inside of a lil cap deal on top of the valve guides. 9 bucks a seal! Buttt that's what it's gonna take so I got some comin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.