Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 420 rancher that I just put 26 inch mudlites on. When someone rides on the back the left rear tires rubs against the muffler. What do I need to do to fix this problem? new shock, lift kit, wheel spacers etc?

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
You could find stiffer springs/shocks. A lift kit will require new axles and everything else. I have wheel spacers on my 1200lbs yamaha rhino and run them with no problems at all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I put wheel spacers on my Rancher just to give it a wider stance and it would help your situation. Also Moose has spring rubbers that install in the springs which would serve your purpose when hauling a passenger. They are very easy to install and remove. I use them in the front of my Rancher when the snow plow is attached. I would recommend both of these additions for your situation.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am assuming that you installed rims and tires. If so than you may have put rims on with an offset for IRS. In that case wheel spacers are the way to go.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am assuming that you installed rims and tires. If so than you may have put rims on with an offset for IRS. In that case wheel spacers are the way to go.

I only installed wheel spacers and the Moose spring rubbers in the front shocks to offset the weight of the snow plow but may move the spring rubbers to the rear later since I have a cargo bag full of everything I can think of that I might need on the trail. My Rancher is the AT model with IRS.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am sorry cutter I was refering to twin rivers problem. sorry for the confusion. Do the spacers help much, just curious?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am sorry cutter I was refering to twin rivers problem. sorry for the confusion. Do the spacers help much, just curious?
Don't worry about that, it's easy to confuse me.:confused: The spacers give my 420 AT a 46" wide track that is a real plus on off camber situations. The spring rubbers help because the 09 Rancher's shocks are not adjustable. So any extra load on the quad will compress the springs.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Cutter how is it in tight trails? I widened my 400 ex 6" and its very stable but it hits alot of trees and roots in tight spots but works great in the rock gardens.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Cutter how is it in tight trails? I widened my 400 ex 6" and its very stable but it hits alot of trees and roots in tight spots but works great in the rock gardens.
The trail clearance is the same. The tires are still just inside the fenders and I don't notice them throwing a lot more mud but I'm sure there is some increase. The factory width is approx. 43" which In my opinion is a bit narrow for riding trails with off camber sections. I added 1 1/2 inch spacers to all four wheels for a new track width of 46". My wife's Kodiak has ITP wheels and Dirt Tammer tires and her track width is 48". I had to add fender extensions to her quad but it is extremely stable. One other thing I did that I feel is helpful. I increased the air pressure in the tires to 8psi. The ride may suffer slightly but if you look at your tires in a off camber section, they tend to roll under on the downhill side. This creates a unstable condition as well. Increased air pressure will help counter that condition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts